Advice !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fish have to make waste.
that waste is ammonia
unitil you build up your bacteria colony, that ammonia will hurt your fish.

The bacteria colony builds slowly. It can take weeks.

Even after you have bacteria capable of eating ammonia, it transforms to a second TOXIC chemical called NITRITE. Nitrite prevents oxygen uptake in your fish. That will make your fish suffocate.

Your tank then needs to build up a second bacterial colony capable of transforming nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is only mildly toxic.

This again takes weeks.

Putting fish in this tank is cruel. You can do the same thing, build up bacterial colonies with a little bit of fish food, without fish in the tank.

If you insist on keeping your fish in the tank, use prime. Do frequent water changes, at least every day. Do not vaccum your gravel. and keep this up for weeks.

The folks here really know a lot. They are trying to help you create a healthy aquarium and safe/happy fish.

the water will NOT need to look bad to be bad. You will only know if you have ammonia present (any is terrible) or nitrites if you buy test kits.,

bring back teh fish to the store. Exhange them for test kits to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate

You should:

A: Get rid of the tank, fish and plant and find a new hobby.

or

B: Spend a few bucks on a test kit and cycle the tank properly.

This is on page 7 of you not listening to anyone who has suggested you get a test kit.

That's the only way of knowing how much ammonia is in your water.

Thank you !

Dear Stngstr and Sherry,

I appreciated your comments.

Will see what I can get today, preferably starting with the Water Quality Test Kit,........

Again, I thnaks all contributors here for your comments and the time, and to the readers too for your time. I will revert when appropriate,.........

Just remember, if you have to have fish in the tank, change half of the water every day, and use Prime as your dechlorinator, if you can get it. If not, another brand that's good in my opinion is NovAqua.

Thank you again !

Wolf,

Once again, thank you for your continuous advice and concern.

Back
Top Bottom