Afraid of the dark...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish are afraid of the dark, I have to keep my tank light on at night or my fish swim frantic and try to jump out of the tank
I have silver dollar, shark fish, tiger fish, angel fish, and a peacock eel
Is this normal? And is it causing any harm by keeping it on at night?

How long have you had these fish? If they're new then yes I could see that frantic behavior as darkness ... btw I assume you mean total darkness ... is something they may not be used to.

Some LFS, keep a night light or the tank lights on at night. In nature fish experience day and night like anyone else, why some LFS's keep tank lights on ALL the time is beyond me.
Do they eventually calm down after a while? If so I'd say it's normal until they start to adjust to no lights.

Fish should have a natural light and dark cycle. It helps them thrive IMO.
You have at least 1 nocturnal fish, so it is normal for activity at night.
How big is your tank? Maybe the the movement of a nocturnal fish is startling he others? Just an idea.

absolutangel04 said:
Fish should have a natural light and dark cycle. It helps them thrive IMO.
You have at least 1 nocturnal fish, so it is normal for activity at night.
How big is your tank? Maybe the the movement of a nocturnal fish is startling he others? Just an idea.

Yes i agree. The peacock eel is nocturnal. Mine swims franticly against the glass at night, and it is totally normal

I have a pecock eel and an angel fish and they always do that when i either rurn on, or off the lights. Haha i think they are just suprised, so they always calm down in minutes :) i bet ur fish are fine.. Just try to slowly turn off lights. So turn off the tank light, but keep the room light on, and then in a few minutes turn off the room light or turn it down :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom