African cichlid not eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blockdude92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a baby cichlid and he will not eat! When I put food in he just hides. I haven't seen him eat in over a week. What should I do?

How large is this baby cichlid, what other fish are in the tank and how large are they?

I had him in a tank with 3 other Africans but he was so scared that I moved him to a little isolated tank by himself. I am feeding him fish flakes

Could just be nerves. In the iso tank give him a place to hide and offer food a few times a day and monitor. He may pick off the floor when he feels comfortable.

If he continues not to eat I would call your LFS and let them know. Maybe even call them now just to give them a heads up. I've had fish not eat for up to 2 weeks when I first introduced them in my main tank.

Could just be nerves. In the iso tank give him a place to hide and offer food a few times a day and monitor. He may pick off the floor when he feels comfortable.

If he continues not to eat I would call your LFS and let them know. Maybe even call them now just to give them a heads up. I've had fish not eat for up to 2 weeks when I first introduced them in my main tank.

Thanks convict I was working up to that

When you fed watch closely where it is hiding to see if it's getting little pieces of food that floats close. My female jd his for 2 months and I would only see her dart out quicky to grab a small bite and go back to hiding.

Back
Top Bottom