African Cichlid Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so Rite now I have 2 Zebras and 3 labs in my 55g. I have another lab that I bought today in my qt tank. I need help picking another species to stock my mbuna tank with. I don't plan on buying more Zebras due to their aggression. I wanted to buy Aceis or Bumblebees but the lfs's stock had a lot of sunken bellies in those species along with the Zebras. I've gotten mixed reviews on Auratus, really aggressive, not aggressive, 55g isn't enough space, it is enough space, etc. Anything that would straighten that out would be appreciated. Also anymore recommendations that I could check the lfs for would be great. Thanks all. :)

Well, here's a link to an info sheet on the auratus. Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum
It claims they're typically highly aggressive towards other species and extremely aggressive towards members of the same species. I'd probably try something a little tamer if I were you. The acei you mentioned fit the bill if you can find some that are in good health. I have one of these, Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum , with my zebras and a lab. I also have a kenyi, Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum , that's claimed to be highly aggressive but haven't seen anything to make me believe it. Good luck! ;)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll think about the kenyi, I too have heard them being really aggressive so I'd like other people experience with them. I think I saw some Greshaki (or however its spelled) today, so that might be an idea.

honestly, i dont feel any of those are that aggressive, i have all of the above (except greshaki, coming soon though) and have no aggression problems... the auratus were the submissive ones in my tank. when i had 3, none of them would even mess with my bumblebees or kenyi... the kenyi male is the dominant fish in my tank, the females leave everybody alone and even sleep in the same cave with each other. i dont see a problem adding any of those fish

and of course kenyi would be a lot easier to have 1 male and 3 females. Whats the color difference again?

well they fight with each other a lot and now that that one is back in the 55, its acting strange again.

if you give them away, im sure somebody would want them that has a tank needing more fish... but id hate for you to give them away for no reason

I guess I'll leave them, and I'll just have to wait and see how it goes. So Here's a list (subject to change):
-4 Yellow Labidochromis (the one I bought today, I was charged 10.99 for a small one, computer error uggh)
-2 Zebras (who knows whatll happen to the one acting weird, if worst comes to worst I'll have to Euthanize it. Too bad I don't get that tank til next weekend or until I can get there when there is daylight)
-4 Kenyi, Gershakeis or Auratus (what to choose, what to choose)

The zebra's might start acting differently when you add some more fish in your tank. Mine were the first in there all by themselves at first and were really aggressive. As I've added more they have totally calmed down. Now, they don't really bother each other or their tank mates much at all. And the one kenyi I have is a female and is really my favorite cichlid I own. This fish will follow you and come to the front of the tank to look at you when ever someone walks by it. The rest are in their own little worlds but this one seems to want to be social. And so far when all the rest are hiding out in the caves at night she patrols the tank. She's pretty much the smallest one in there but no one messes with her.

Well i have bumblebees, albino gershakeis, and labs, along with Afra Cobues and red zebras and have no aggression what so ever

Well I guess if I add anymore Zebras, I'll wait til I add some other fish first. Do you think any of those 3 species I listed earlier would be okay in my tank?

well they fight with each other a lot and now that that one is back in the 55, its acting strange again.
The reason they do is because you only have 2 of them. If they are both males one will end up dead. If one is a female she will get very harassed. If you want to successfully keep Mbuna, you need to keep groups of 1 male to 2-4 females. You also need a TON of rockwork for them to each have a place to hide out.

I would stay away from Bumble Bees. They get mean too.

If you are just starting out, a group of 4 Acei would work great in there. They are beautiful fish and the tend to swim together.

To everyone who has Kenyi, Auturus and Bumblebees in their tank......... How big/old are they? Because if they are under 5" and still juvies they wont be as aggressive as full grown adults. Just a word of caution!

My Red Zebra male is my favorite fish of the bunch. He is so beautiful! If you get a few more and have patience for them to grow, this is what they will grow up to look like:
img_1054558_0_74ac296939c6cc0472abb68c667076bd.jpg

He is beautiful. About the fighting, I don't know how to sex Red Zebras, particularly in a pet store so what if I accidentally buy 3 males and 1 female? Also, about the aceis, I'd like to have them but the local stock has a lot of sunken bellies. But baiscally you're saying I should buy more Zebras and the aggression will go down?

wow dizz, i thought everybody was just lying to me about the aggression in my fish, but i guess you have a good point. Mine are every bit of 3" now though, with no aggression. I still need to add more to mine, as i only have 2 zebras and 2 labs, but maybe im just the exception to the rule for aggression so far? Next time youre out in ky, you should stop by and give me and a1 some pointers on our tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom