African Cichlid Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To sex the zebras it's all in the color, the females are darker orange and the males like the one posted above are lighter colored like a peach color.

Not nessecarily also the ones we buy mite b too young to go by color. Anyway, I'll have to wait til my lfs gets a better stock since the ones there mite have had parasites or something.

But baiscally you're saying I should buy more Zebras and the aggression will go down?

Yes. Any Mbuna you decide to stock needs to be in groups because only 2 will fight. You will always have a dominant fish in the group, usually a male and if there is more than one other, the aggression is spread out. When there is only 2, the more dominant one will pick on the other non-stop. This is why you are not seeing it in the Yellow Labs, because there is a group. The aggression will only get worse as they get closer to adulthood too, say around 6". So its important they grow up together. Adding another to an established group later can cause trouble for the new comer.

Male Red Zebras will have a tint of blue to their fins and as they mature, the bodies get it too and they look a more peach. See the difference between the male in front and the female behind him? It is harder to see when young, but you can. It helps to shine a flash light on them.

The best way to stock Mbuna is find a good private fish store and make sure that you can bring back any extra males as they grow. I started out with 4 Reds, and it turned out to be 2 males, 2 females. I took the less dominant (and less pretty) male back and got another female. I went thru a LOT of Yellow Labs because they all turned out males! I am still trying to get one more female for my group.

As far as the Acei at the store. Are they active? They can be like that because they are young and not fed enough. I would say, if they are very active and look healthy beside that to try it. Females will get that sunken look after they have been holding fry for 3 weeks. I have gotten a few who looked rather skinny, but after a couple weeks of a good diet they fatten right up. But, if you don't feel comfortable with them, go with your instinct.

I'll try to get some more red zebras as soon as I can, school definitely knits the days I can get them. The acei at the store had rough looking fins and were lethargic.

I read all the time about how someones fish get along great, then as they hit sexual maturity all **** breaks loose! That is why I always caution people about that. Even Yellow Labs can be terrors in a tank. My male Lab is the second boss. My Red Zebra above is the tank boss. My Lab was until "Punky" grew to be about 5" and took him on. They will still fight at times, but mostly Punky is king.

I do have a group of Kenyi now, but they are still only about 1.5" and the rest of my fish are over 5". I am hoping because the Kenyi will grow up being low in rank they wont be trouble later. But, I also know that in 6 month I may be finding homes for them if they start getting aggressive to the rest as they match size.

a1, if you want, hold off... like i said, we can go to louisville one day and check out their selection at bluegrass aquatics... i also talked to the guy at ip and he said the blue lagoon cichlids in nicholasville supposedly has some very nice stock... ill run and check it out one day and see what i think... they may also have some of the "less common" fish that less people have

Lol ok thanks. If ip gets a good batch of zebras I'll go ahead and finish stocking them like dizz said. Once I get this new tank and get it cycled etc. Ill b a lot happier and i can actually grow out my qts lol.

I got 2 more zebras today from ip today. So far they seem female as they don't have blue on their fins. They're in qt now. Still, what species do you think I could have 4 more of? They didn't have acei today, and MFD got some acei there and they died :( (at least I think they did). Anymore suggestions?

Pics:
img_1061023_0_cfa24b3c722435fa91add17feb83faa3.jpg

img_1061023_1_9f04c4b60c953e348036647708c02878.jpg

Sorry for bad quality, I'll try to get better pics later

When I add them to the main tank, I reorganize the rocks (in the main tank) to minimize aggression.

They didn't have acei today, and MFD got some acei there and they died :( (at least I think they did). Anymore suggestions?
not only did they die, but they gave my other fish columnaris! Thats what happens when you stupidly stick fish that appear healthy in a tank because you sold your qt tank thinking you wouldnt add anymore fish for a while... now im battling columnaris, lost a yellow lab, and doing ridiculous amounts of pwc's, which arent fun in a 150g tank

Anyway, about stocking. I have consulted a few people and I think I'd like, if I could find them, some Hongis. Sound like a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom