African Cichlid Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattandmyoscars

Aquarium Advice Regular
I may be buying a new 60 gallon tank and want an African Cichlid tank but don't know what to get or much about them? Can I make the tank planted or no? What kind and how many should I get for a beginner, I have two tanks rn a 90 and 55 so I'm not a beginner in fish just African Cichlids (I have two oscars but I don't really count them)

Definitely don't want to do a planted tank for Africans. A Sandy bottom with lots of rocks/caves is better.

There are tons of options for Africans and a 65.

First you need to decide what lake.

Tanginyikan - tropheus, calvus
Malawi - Mbuna, Peacocks, Haps
Victoria - Haps, Pundamilia,

Within each lake there are tons of different categories.
A list of SOME ranked by smallest to largest. A small African, you could do 15-20 in a 60. This also depends if you want to do an all male tank, or a mixed/breeding tank. Or some Africans are best kept in a species tank, like Itungi lethrinops, or Psuedotropheus Demasoni. For a larger fish, like Nimbochromis, you could only fit 3-4 in a 60 Anyway there are:

Shell Dwellers,
Mbuna (Rock Dwellers)
Peacocks (Aulonocara)
Haps (Haplochromis, Nimbochromis
Protomelus)

You can mix different types, but some don't mix as well as others.

For a great look at Victorian Fish google Pundamilia Nyererie. That's only one type, but shows the different colors from Victoria.

Tanginyikan tanks have a huge variety of fish that can be kept together. Look at Tropheus species.

The most common is the Malawi setup.
Aulonocara are arguably the most colorful and stunning Africans.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom