african cichlids and new world cichlids together with little agression!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UpsideDownfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been in the aquarium hobby for 5 years and ive accumilated 3 tanks that ive done a lot with and have been through a lot, i have 55 gallon new world and african cichlids and they do great! but as the juviniles get larger im going to get a 30 gallon long for the africans. then the 55 for the new world! i have my first tank a 15 gallon ex freshwater and now a saltwater reef tank thats had its golden age then a month of downhill now its average nothing great but nothing bad.then i have a 3 gallon freshwater planted tank with a madtom catfish and a school of serpae tetras. what ive learned from this hobby after five years is its a learnin expeirence and you must do research before anything wether its clothes or a house. a friend of mine inspired me to get fish and then i inspired another friend to buy a tank and now he loves fish, i hope you inspire someone else into the hobby and keep the water flowing!

Very cool. I've always read and been told that you can't mix African and SA/CA cichlids. I'd be curious to see how it works as they all get bigger.

today i had an unexected puncture to a african cichlid,,, a couple of my fish have spikes on their doral fins and he was chasing them around in a play(not agression) and stabbed himself but i dont think it was any sort of agression, but as they get larger after the 30 gal tank ill put my largest mbuna in and see how it goes but i dont think large new world and medium mbuna will go well together in a year after they have matured

im not sue how to send photos on here from an ipad mini, ive tried doesnt work out ,but i do have a jack dempsey a texas cichlid pink and black convict an eartheater a red devil a male n female jonhansi cichlid an orange mbuna cichlid of some sort a blue kribenses and 2 regular kribenses but one just stabbed itself i have gourami which i will get rid of soon because i have no room for itn a cichlid tank i also have a some feeder fish that have been quaranteened but not food just a play mate for the time being but i will remove them and but them in a seperate bowl

Who got stabbed? What's going in a bowl? What size tank are these all in?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

the feeder fish will go in 20 gallon tub with an extra pump n light. a regular kribensis cichlid was stabbed by the dorsal fin of a south american cichlid, all the fish are in a 55 but once again in about 8 months to 14 months ill get a 30 gal tank for the africans

Well just to reply to the original point that all these fish can be kept together, no, no they can't... sadly. I'm not sure where you should start or how in the world to go about it orderly but the best thing you could do is take most all of them back to the pet store at once until you can properly house them. You're doing the fish quite a disservice as the tank sits.

the fish are about 1 n a half inches long right now, nothing huge and dont worry i know that in the future they wont fit in a 55 but im going to pick up more tanks and even it out but its working for the time being. but in the future the fish will grow fast and changes will be made... this is just what i currently have in the tank. i think i will keep the saltwater tank at 15 gallons though no changes to that. but t will be a year atleast til any of the fish are over 6 inches

im not sure how to send photos on here from an ipad mini, ive tried doesnt work out..

If you are using the mobile app, when replying to messages, you can use the camera or image icons to add pictures to a post
Mevl8g9.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't usually get involved in this.. all I'm going to say is a single jack Dempsey needs a 55 solo. If you're interested in nice display tanks than major changes are afoot... if you like wierd science projects than don't change a thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well just to reply to the original point that all these fish can be kept together, no, no they can't... sadly. I'm not sure where you should start or how in the world to go about it orderly but the best thing you could do is take most all of them back to the pet store at once until you can properly house them. You're doing the fish quite a disservice as the tank sits.

+1
Soon enough, these fish will most likely get killed with eventually 1-2 fish left. I'd get rid of them now, before this turns into a warzone and fish start floating

Sent via echolocation

You say in a year or so the fish will be 6". The Midevil should be 6" in 4 or 5 months and in the 10 to 12 inch range in a year if properly housed.
The Texas also should grow around the same rate or a little slower.
The Africans I know nothing about
The Midevil will slowly take over the tank and wipe out everything else. By slowly I mean in the next 2 or 3 months.
By keeping all these fish in a 55 you will stunt their growth unless you are doing daily water changes. But the water changes wont solve the midevil claiming the whole tank.
Do some more research and save yourself some head aches.

the fish are about 1 n a half inches long right now, nothing huge and dont worry i know that in the future they wont fit in a 55 but im going to pick up more tanks and even it out but its working for the time being. but in the future the fish will grow fast and changes will be made... this is just what i currently have in the tank. i think i will keep the saltwater tank at 15 gallons though no changes to that. but t will be a year atleast til any of the fish are over 6 inches

At least once every few months there is a thread about how "happy" all my fish are now mixing continents. The sad truth is it doesn't work out long term. You mentioned you've been in this hobby for 5 years yet you didn't bother to research any of this?

The highlighted area is absolute nonsense as most of the fish your keeping are should be growing at nearly 3/4" per month at the minimum. So in a year half of those fish should be at least 9-10". The sad truth is none of them will ever see their true potential due to aggression issues and stunted growth.

Good luck...

Last edited:
At least once every few months there is a thread about how "happy" all my fish are now mixing continents. The sad truth is it doesn't work out long term. You mentioned you've been in this hobby for 5 years yet you didn't bother to research any of this?

The highlighted area is absolute nonsense as most of the fish your keeping are should be growing at nearly 3/4" per month at the minimum. So in a year half of those fish should be at least 9-10". The sad truth is none of them will ever see their true potential due to aggression issues and stunted growth.

Good luck...

Sadly this is true.Even sadder is you'll probably let it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom