African Cichlids Flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhiatt41056

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think i need some help. I have 16 African Cichlids in a 90 gallon tank and almost all of them are starting to flash. I havent had any of them die and they seem to be acting normal except for the flashing. My ammonia is 0 my nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are about 30-40. I am going to do a major water change tommorow when i get off work hoping that might take care of the problem. Dont want any to die so if there might be anything else causeing the flashing please give advice. Thanks

Just a 25% PWC will do. If there are ich parasites in the water, a major PWC will not help. My Africans like to show off and flash against the gravel. They have done this for years.

Do you see any little white dots? If so, begin the heat and salt treatment for ich, which can be found in the Articles section. I have used this treatment for my Africans and it has worked wonders. :D

Well Ive done the water change. I dont see any white dots or anything else on them but they are still flashing. They have always flsahed some but not like this. I am going to go ahead and add a little more salt and turn the heat up to about 82 and see what happens.

If you believe it is ich, take the heat up to 86 and add the salt. It will not hurt. Allow the treatment to continue for a week. If the flashing goes away, keep the treatment up for two more weeks.
If the flashing does not go away, keep your eyes open for anything that is different about the cichlid's behavior.

Back
Top Bottom