African Cichlids or Planted Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
African cichlids personally they have a bit more colour variety and are more interesting to keep.

If you have alot of rocks in your area then cichlids. Its fun to put together a neat rockscape for them. They love nooks and caves.

Im 41.... never to old to enjoy some fish

I will go with the African Cichlids. I don't have many rocks in my area, Mississippi, but last summer we went to the mountains in Tennessee and I collected some rocks. Do you think I could use those and also some Cichlid stones I could by. I have heard many people put a few java ferns in their tanks weighted down by rocks. Has anyone else heard this? All advice is appreciated!!

Java fern tied to rocks with fishing line or rubber bands. Check your rocks with a white vinegar test.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After cleaning and drying the rocks, put a few drops of white vinegar on it. If there is any reaction(bubbles, fizzling) don't use the rocks. If no reaction, its good to use.

Cool! I didn't know that. I have been wanting to hunt for rocks to put in my cichlid tank but didn't want to put in the wrong thing.

Check your rocks with a white vinegar test.

You do know that most cichlid aquarium have Texas holy rock or other rock that are limestone=calcium carbonate. What do you think will happen if you pour vinegar on the rocks. My aquarium is full of limestone rocks & it's a great buffer for us that have Africa cichlids

Coral sand and ocean rock are made up mainly of calcium carbonate and this mineral requires acidic conditions to dissolve and release mineral content. If your PH is 7 or above they will not add any useful buffering capacity to your water so do not rely upon them to maintain your tanks PH at the correct levels.

So we go back to the vinegar test on the rock...my point is that if I put vinegar on my rocks they fizz...should I not use them and others?

Many other carbonate minerals react with hydrochloric acid. Each of these minerals consists of one or more metal ions combined with a carbonate ion (CO3--). The chemistry of these reactions is similar to the calcite reaction. The mineral reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce carbon dioxide gas, water, a dissolved metal ion and dissolved chlorine.

Use them if you wish but if your ph is 7 or above they will be of little to no benefit to buffering your tank. It's a myth that they will help maintain ph at a higher level. Also fizzing can indicate traces of metals within the rock which aren't recommended.

You are just running around...

If there is any reaction(bubbles, fizzling) don't use the rocks. If no reaction, its good to use.

That's what you posted...

I put vinegar on my Texas Holey Rock they will fizz & limestone for that matter. Forget about the Ph, buffering etc. The point is simple, "dont use the rock that fizz" is incorrect.

That's not what I posted that was a post by plantaholic. But I do believe it's much safer to use inert rocks that won't alert water chemistry or contain metals. Ps I'm not running around I stand by my original statement and have outlined the reasons why above. The fact that you're looking for an argument is your problem.

Not a vote in either direction, but both will require decent filtration and generous water changes. Cichlids may require a little more work in terms of proper stocking and hiding spaces to manage aggression. Both are cool choices. Stock wise, you'd probably get more bang for your buck with cichlids.
Thumbs up for being young and involved in the hobby/obsession.

Wow, I apologize if my answer to the op's question was insufficient or incorrect. I gauged the ops experience level by what I've read in this thread and stated the simple version of the rule. I generally don't count on my decor to maintain my water chemistry(except live plants), as there are enough variables to the hobby starting out, which I assumed was the case here for the op.

Back
Top Bottom