African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I have a 40gal breeder tank and i have about 10 cichlids in there (mixed variety). I noticed that some of them have little pieces of their fins missing. I don't know if they were there when i bought them or if another fish didi it. Is this normal or is there something that i should do? All fish seem to be healthy.

Exactly which ciclids do you have? African cichlids are known for aggression. 10 cichlids in a 40 gal is a tight squeeze. You may find that the weaker ones will be killed off. Keeping Africans is difficult. For instance, I have many mature Mbuna in an 80 gal, but would like to add more. I found our the hard way that my fish will not accept any adults--male or female. They are tolerate of juvies and I need to keep an eye as the juvies mature. I have many pics of my Africans in my gallery.
You need to ID your fish, because some are known for more aggression than others. While my fish tolerate each other, there are some Mbuna that I will not add to my tank due to reputation.

I am a newbie but I think this is what I have: an electric blue, a yellow one that is solid in color and a yellow one with black fins, i also have a Auratus, and 2 Blue Mbunas, a Redtop Mbuna, a Lemon Cichlid, and a rostrodum (it's supposed to be some kind or rare one).

Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

M. auratus are known to be one of the most aggressive of the cichlids, so that's my first suspect right there, but you have quite a bunch of possibilities.

Torn fins are from aggression so I suggest you pull up a chair and sit in front of the tank for a good long while. After they get over their "feeding response" at the sight of you, they'll forget about you and go back to doing what they do. That's when you might see who is chasing whom, and determine the troublemaker(s) in the tank. It is tough to stock a 40gal with Africans, but overstocking might be the only way. Once they are mature it is going to be very tricky (I am assuming they are not all full-size).

Filtration is going to be very important in this tank, as well, with all those cichlids.

TankGirl said:
Welcome to AA! :mrgreen:

M. auratus are known to be one of the most aggressive of the cichlids, so that's my first suspect right there, but you have quite a bunch of possibilities.

Torn fins are from aggression so I suggest you pull up a chair and sit in front of the tank for a good long while. After they get over their "feeding response" at the sight of you, they'll forget about you and go back to doing what they do. That's when you might see who is chasing whom, and determine the troublemaker(s) in the tank. It is tough to stock a 40gal with Africans, but overstocking might be the only way. Once they are mature it is going to be very tricky (I am assuming they are not all full-size).

Filtration is going to be very important in this tank, as well, with all those cichlids.

What do u mean by "It is tough to stock a 40gal with Africans, but overstocking might be the only way" No the only ones that are big are the rostrodum and the Auratus.

You have waaay too many african cichlids for that tank. For example, I have 8 Africans in a 55 gallon, and 5 of them will only grow to 4". You have too many large, aggressive mbuna african cichlids in that tank and basically if you don't get rid of some of them the others are going to kill them off. Also IME Auratus are extremely aggressive fish, more so than other African species so be very careful if you decide to keep him. The yellow one with black fins is likely a yellow lab. I also have never heard of a rostrodum so be careful that he is a compatible fish, I've never heard of an mbuna referred to by that name so I'm guessing it's probably not. Also the lemon cichlid is not exactly compatible with the mbuna species.

Also
How large are the cichlids now?
What type of decorations and hiding spaces do you have in your tank?

A 40 gallon tank isn't a perfect cichlid tank, in general you can keep less fish per gallon in that sized tank. Also the smallest tank I've seen the "overstocking" theory work in is a 55 gallon. It simply does not work in smaller tanks because there is nowhere to escape to and not enough hiding spots.

Okay looks like everyone is relatively small right now, and I am sure the auratus is the culprit. Keep a close eye on the tank and you'll soon see who is making trouble.

TankGirl said:
Okay looks like everyone is relatively small right now, and I am sure the auratus is the culprit. Keep a close eye on the tank and you'll soon see who is making trouble.

Should I go and get a 55 gal tank. I have the spare money to do it. Is it necessary to do this? all of them are small. Thanks for ur help tankgirl. Do you have any recommendations for decorations in my tank? Any more advice that u can give?

Any more advice that u can give?
Take a look in my gallery. My husband and I have worked for years trying to get the right mix of fish in this tank and enough rock.
an electric blue, a yellow one that is solid in color and a yellow one with black fins, i also have a Auratus, and 2 Blue Mbunas, a Redtop Mbuna, a Lemon Cichlid, and a rostrodum
Mbuna describes some cichlids from Lake Malawi that are mainly vegetarians. Mbuna have a different look to them--blunt in the face and a rounded body (see my gallery for pics). We used to have an Auratus a long time ago. They are smaller when they mature, compared to other Mbuna. The Auratus is very aggressive.
You have some Pseudotropheus zebras-it looks like an orange one and perhaps the "Blue Mbuna." The "blue Mbuna" may be a Powder Blue cichlid--Pseudotropheus socolofi. I didn't see a Red Top, which is Pseudotropheus Sandraracinos. Red Tops are dark in color and when they mature, the red comes out. Lemon Yellow (Electric Yellow)--Labidochromis caeruleus.
The fish with a very pointed face will loose out in the long run, JMO. It maybe a hap, or peacock. If so, those fish have a very different ranking system, compared to the Mbuna. A larger tank will help, but you also must pick the right mix of fish.

So your advice for a happy tank would be to get rid of the large pointed nose one and the really aggressive one? Should i get the 55 gal tank? Is the arragnment of my rocks good? they told me that the pointed face one is called a rostrundum or something. I can't really remember. I guess the next time i get fish i will write down wat each kind is. TIA

I think a 55 would be a wise choice, but if they are all getting along it is not something you have to do right away. We are just giving you the heads up that trouble is forseen down the pike. I think if you trade back that auratus for now that will help immensely.

I'd like to see your rocks stacked to create smaller spaces, so everyone can't all fit inside a "cave." If one needs to get away from another it is nice to have a bunch of small cave-like areas where a fish can go. Look in Menagerie's gallery and you'll see what I mean.

Look in the gallery in my sig and you'll see I have a relatively small African tank as well, a 44gal. Hiding places and careful choice of fish have made it a success so far, but I'm constantly watching things.

Good luck, and as long as you keep your eye on the tank and take action when necessary it'll be cool!

As small as they are, it's probably not necessary right now to get the 55 however if you have the money and want to do it then I would go ahead and do it. Moving those two fish would probably be the best choice and will likely solve your problem right now.

The 55 gallon will be a very good choice for the rest of the fish when they are fully grown.

Once I get my 120 I'll make that the planted tank and use my current 55 for Africans - I agree it is a great size and if I had the means that's what I'd do, too.

I'd like to see your rocks stacked to create smaller spaces, so everyone can't all fit inside a "cave." If one needs to get away from another it is nice to have a bunch of small cave-like areas where a fish can go.
I agree. They will use the caves and will start excavating the gravel when they get a bit bigger.

Thank you all for your help. You guys really make a newbie feel welcome. I and stacking my rocks differently now. I am gonna get rid of the aggressive one tommorow, but i would like to know why i should get rid of the pointed face one. Does ne one know what this fish is called? I posted a pic of it at the beginning of this thread.

I'm not sure what it is called, but from it's physical characteristics, it is not a Mbuna. If it is a peacock, they are less aggressive than Mbuna and it will loose out later.

I'll reiterate what Menagerie said, I can't say for sure what it is but it sure looks like a peacock and if it is then it will most definitely loose out later.

Back
Top Bottom