African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! While I was at my lfs today I noticed they were selling African Dwarf Frogs. They had them in with some other fish so maybe that's why I have never seen them before. They looked pretty cool and I was thinking of getting some, but I thought I better do some research before I get them. I read online that they can swallow small fish, which worried me. Is this true? I wanted to put them in with my 20g which at the moment has 10 neon tetras, 8 harlequin rasboras, 4 julii corys, and a mystery snail. The tetras and rasboras are all around the 1.5 inch size, except maybe one who is 1 inch. Would I have to worry about them swallowing my fish? Any replys would be appreciate! :thanks: :fish2:

Edit: Im not sure if this should be in the invertebrate forum or not. Feel free to move it

African dwarf frogs are tiny. If you're talking about African clawed frogs, then yes they will get large enough to eat small fish. But other wise no, african dwarf frogs couldn't eat the fish you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had African dwarf frogs with a beta and they tended to nip at each other. I couldn't tell if this was my frog or the beta. They will burrow in the substrate and if the substrate is too large/corse, the tend to get stuck and drowned. They are fun, but need to be kept in pairs. Not odd numbers.

African dwarf frogs are adorable and get along with mostly all fish, however with large they will be dinner! My two frogs live with my betta and corydoras, and they get along fine besides the frogs nipping at everyone, but they will really do no real damage. Another thing is though is feeding the frogs, most of the fish you mentioned could finish the frogs food before they even get a chance, resulting in a hungry frog. Here is one of my african dwarf frogs :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408686400.668701.jpg

Thanks for the replys!! Glad to hear they wont hurt my fish! I think i'm going to pick up 2 from the petstore. Thanks again!!

I got 2 of them today, just letting the bag float before putting them in. Hope they do good!

So far they have been doing great! They are eating and crawling around, sometimes the corys like to look at them hahaha

We have 2 almost adults in our 10 with a betta, a pleco, and we tried ghost shrimp. The frogs never mess with anyone but they would try and stalk the shrimp. Alas their sight isn't very good so they always missed. The shrimp seemed too sensitive for the tank and we lost them all. We got them in Mayish as younger, maybe juveniles. I feed them sinking frog pellets when I'm busy and frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp when I have more time. I put a little plate in the tank because I have gravel and it makes it easier for them to find their food. They actually chase my betta away when eating. We also have two itsy bitsy albino ADFs in a 20 long with 5 cories, 3 neon tetras, and 5 zebra danios. We got the frogs about 2 weeks ago and theybare grtting fore comfortable by the day. There is also a plate in there for them to eat from. They are about 1/4" long, if that. They mostly eat brine shrimp but I tried blood worms and they loved them! I was afraid they would be too small but they gobbled them up. I have a small measuring spoon that I fill with tank water and thats where I thaw the bloodbworms or brine shrimp. I also put the pellets in there on the days I feed them. Then after they are thawed I suck them up with a pipette and carefully squeeze them on to the plate. I feed the other fish first to keep them occipied. In the 20g, the other fish don't seem interested in stealing the food. The pellets i can normally just place the spoon in the tank and pour them on the plate. Just have to take it slow or the rush of water in the spoon will send the pellets flying. For the first couple feedings on the plate i had to find the frogs and place them in the plate with their food. Now they're all trained enough to know where the food goes haha. I used to let them eat as the food slowly fell from the pipet, you can do that, too.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is one of the littles. The plate is a small tuperware lid weigted down with glass marble type things.

Attachments

• 1409582804073.jpg
    1409582804073.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 140
Haha, nice frogs! Mine also love bloodworms and brine shrimp. I have a special area behind some plants where I feed mine so hopefully other fish won't steal all of it. Thanks for the reply!

I too want African dwarf frogs for my future betta tank! So do I just acclimate em' and feed them and that's it? What do you do with then during water changes? Do they need a lid?

NatureFish
????

So just leave them in the tank during water changes? How long do they live? I had a friend whose ADF lasted almost a year and then died. I heard they live like 15 years! Is that accurate??? It doesn't sound like it...

NatureFish
????

I've had my african dwarf frogs for about a year and a half, and they're still going strong. African dwarf frogs are amphibians, but they still need to stay in water 100% of the time or else they'll dry out quickly and die. ADFs are a little nervous and shy, and little extra work needs to be put to make sure they're not being bullied out of food. They are lots of fun but like every animal, they still need care

Ok cool. So do they live to be 15 like google says?

NatureFish
????

They are so tiny I'm afraid I'll squish it! My friend accidentally chopped off its front leg but there wasn't blood...

15 years is more or less the exception than anything. However with quality care an ADF can live 5+ years.

Oh ok. Do they refer still water like betta or can they with stand an airline filter?

NatureFish
????

A lot of surface agitation can freak them out, but similar to a betta or a little more will do

Back
Top Bottom