African Pike Characin - Phago loricatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is my latest acquisition....the African Pike Characin, Phago loricatus (also known as Phago maculatus). It is a vile, evil, toothy, scissor-jawed little fish - growing to about 8 inches or so (mine is about 3 1/2 inches) that has a habit of removing the fins and scales of other fish. I've been trying to find one of these for years but local fish stores rarely carry them, for obvious reasons. It is in an aquarium all by itself and will probably remain that way because I can't think of any of my other fish that I want to have parts removed from.

Better pictures to come!

-Joe

phago2.jpg

phago1.jpg

They can be kept with others of their own kind fairly safely. You can't see it in the picture but all of the Phago species have striped tails that seem to be used as a signal to other Phago not to bite them off! I'm going to try a couple of small Synodontis in the tank soon....and will remove them immediately if any damage is being done.

-Joe

There's very little literature available on this fish but I took one look at the fish and figured it was a jumper too. He just has that look about him. The tank is securely covered.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom