aggresive cichlid please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ghostking010

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I have in my 80 gallon tank 8 African cichlids I just bought 2 more a peacock and a normal African for the 3d time my cichlids in my tank wont alow them in the nip at the tail and fins till thread no fish left and there no bigger than a inch I don't know what to do is there a trick or some tnxs

Well tank space is definitely not an issue. Your species are probably incompatible. Peacocks are more passive than most Mbuna, but at such a small size if you have plenty of hiding spots and good rock work then they should be fine for the time being...Provide a list of all tank inhabitants and maybe we can better understand your situation.

I'm guessing you have a mix of mbuna and peacocks which is probably the main issue. If you can list the specific species we can better help, or if you aren't sure then post pics of them.

African cichlids are also very territorial which is why it's good to rearrange the rocks and introduce new fish in the dark. Some people even remove all existing fish into a bucket, perform a water change, rearrange all decorations, then add the new fish and existing fish with lights off. This puts all fish into a "new" tank at the same time with no established territories.

Finally, a lot of people overstock their tanks so aggression is spread out and no one or two fish is the sole target of aggression.

Sorry to ramble! If you add your stock list we ca give better advice!

Back
Top Bottom