aggression question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have noticed that in the last few days my black skirts have started to nip at my angels. what the heck?!?! my parameters are normal: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate always under 35, temp 80, pH 7.6 - 7.8. the ONLY change in the tank has been the removal of the ugf and addition of the canister filter about three weeks ago. any thoughts?

that's normal for black tetra's that's something they do to other fish. I keep them with anges to in a 65g tank. They play around and chase each other. Then out of no where they're nipping at the angels.

I don't think it has to do anything with the water...

Something like that happened to me too. I bought two serpa tetra's and they seemed fine...for a while. A few days later the lager tetra started to really get at the smaller one. It got so bad that i had to seperate the larger one from the smaller one by putting it in a seperate container out of the tank. After a while, my guppy started to attack the other fish i had.O_O

So i decided to put the smaller one back, and took the large tetra and the guppy into a breeding net, and left the rest of the nice ones inside the tank. I waited a few weeks and decided to let them free. By that time the small tetra grew as big as the other one and now they only fight ocassionally, and the guppy gets along with others...

anyway if you totally skipped over that, just get a breeding net for the violent ones...and hopefully they would nip at each other d:
That is. If they're small. Or get a bigger net if you have a bigger tank

i have read that before weasel, but the thing is, they have all been living happily together for about four months now. is the aggression in the black skirts something that typically develops as they mature?
yodlem - i have seen serpae's come and go already. had a pretty bad experience with them. they do better in groups, yours may stop their aggressive behaviors if you put a few more in there.

they pretty much did stop.
The worse they do now is chase each other, which isn't much

In mine the older they got the less aggression I see in them. there right at 1 1/2 yrs old and have all but stoped the fin nipping. If and when they do nip at the angels. I thank it's when there spawning. They've spawned twice now and just droped the reggs in the gravel, There eggs scatters. The corys eat them just as soon as they drop them. Then they chase the angels.

I have 2 skirts, 1 GBR, and a madagascar rainbow right now. The GBR is shy and sort of a loner (always has been), but the skirts and madagascar chase each other around the tank all the time. and it is not always the skirts chasing the madagascar, he chases them too. I think that it might be a phase, because they didn't use to do it as much.

Back
Top Bottom