aggressive do over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nafuzy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Huey guys. So I've come to the realization that if its not in my budget to successfully develop a reef tank...ill do the second most desirable saltwater setup I sort of always wanted too: AGGRESSIVE FOWLR!!! :) I have the 55gal with a busted halide so ill probably go back to the leds that came with the tank but here's what I want to do. Please, questions comments opinions??? I want a lion, 1-2 triggers (Picasso for sure), maroon clown, grouper (kind of like this blackish blue-spotted one). Think it can work?? I've read alot about certain triggers allowing more than 1 in same tank based on aggression. True?? Carrie of your out there your input is highly valued. Thanks guys!!

Wish I could help, I know nothing about aggressive tanks and fish. :) But I have heard the same thing, not to get too many triggers. And groupers require a large tank usually, i wanted one but I don't have the space. lol

Breaking my heart carey. Haha. Hmm...well based on what you know and the size those fish get to do you at least think the stock list is semi-legit..? If I can't for the grouper I wont :( thanks again for all your help with the reef but I have to be realistic..if I can barely afford to survive...I have to cut my losses. But if I do come into money in future ill do a nano reef :)

If ur gonna go with a fowlr I would double check on the sizes of some of the fish on ur list. The 1-2 lions most likely won't work cause they will get to almost a foot in size and the triggers most likely will average about 10-12+ and they may also nip at the fins of ur lionfish also.

There are some types of lions like the dwarfs that cAn go in to smaller tank also if u want aggressive check out the snowflake moray I kept mine in a 60 for a year or more before I found a bigger tank on CL. And damsels are fun in those kind of mixes to I have to in my 90 gal pred tank and they do great.

You could get a maroon pair and a hawkfish and maybe a wrasse...Definitely no triggers or groupers

O said 1-2 triggers, tbarcomb....I wouldn't do 2 lions.. lol. Small easier triggers like picassos can work in those kinds of systems from what I've gathered. And thanks a bunch guys. Yeah it seems groupers are definitely out :(

O said 1-2 triggers, tbarcomb....I wouldn't do 2 lions.. lol. Small easier triggers like picassos can work in those kinds of systems from what I've gathered. And thanks a bunch guys. Yeah it seems groupers are definitely out :(
I will strongly advise against a Picasso/humu trigger ..i just traded mine in for a blue throat(had it for 3+ years)...he was a holy terror and killed 3 fish,,and this was in a 125..I also believe no trigger should be in anything smaller than a 125...Sorry ,but triggers don't stay small and cute ,,they need a lot of room ...I love triggers too ,,and understand you wanting one ,,but IMHO i wouldn't do it in a 55

:( man this sucks.. do dwarf angels do ok with lions maroons clowns hawks and tangs????

:( man this sucks.. do dwarf angels do ok with lions maroons clowns hawks and tangs????
A dwarf angel would be perfect for your tank size...No tangs though:nono:
I would skip the lion too,,if you were going to do clowns and a hawk that is...
eventually the lion would probably eat at least the hawk...
a dwarf,hawk,pair of maroons,and a wrasse or dottyback of some kind would be a nice stock for your tank IMO

Not my style. ;) and lions generally don't mess with fish that are bigger than mouth size and I understand your not supposed to do tangs in small tanks like that but I know a few very very successful hobbyists that have tanks my size with tang. If they get to big you can always sell or trade. And u actually had a regal and bristol before redoing the tank for a reef

Not my style. ;) and lions generally don't mess with fish that are bigger than mouth size and I understand your not supposed to do tangs in small tanks like that but I know a few very very successful hobbyists that have tanks my size with tang. If they get to big you can always sell or trade. And u actually had a regal and bristol before redoing the tank for a reef
:confused::confused:,,not me,never had a regal or bristol either
I'm aggressive all the way(just upgraded to a 280)..Never had a reef ,,never will

I never owned a lion,but do have an angler and they will eat things more than half there size(thought lions were the same)...
Not going to argue about tangs either,,but my thought is ,,i just never like thinking i have to catch and trade a fish because it outgrew my tank

Im actually with you on that unfortunately I cannot afford a bigger tank but always wanted to do aggressive :(. What size tank you have??? What fish do you have? ?? Are they amazing???? :)

No triggers, there's really no "easier" trigger...the majority get to 10-12 inches in length, some larger. And please don't underestimate a lions eating abilities... I accidentally cut a silverside too long for my volitan and by the time I dropped it into the water, my lion was moving for it....completely ate it..even though the tail stuck out his mouth. Imo you'd need atleast a 125 to house this combo

Huma huma im getting a 110 gal in a couple days. I will have the lion, 2 triggers, snowflake eel, powder blue tang and a maroon clown. Is it ok now???? :) will this work? ? Please say yes cause im ecstatic now

If you're going to get a lion the only option would be a Fuzzy or fu manchu. 55 G don't really give you the depth you need for larger predatory fish such volitons or big triggers. I agree with ftmmws a dwarf angel or 6 line wrasse. If you get a maroon clown buy them smaller cuz the get fast quick and in a hurry and can be very aggressive.

Omg you guys!!!! I just said im.getting a 110g in 2 days. So I want the volitans 2 triggers snowflake eel maroon clown and powder blue tang!!!! Is that good??? :) will that stock work out????

Back
Top Bottom