aggressive pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
my plecos never been aggressive before i noticed it a little yesterday and i thought i was just seeing things, but now today i know somethings up. he clearly is chasing other fish in the tank. i thought they were suposed to be very peacefull? maybe because he has grown too much. Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

In perticular it appears he is chasing my severums, and it did it for about a min straight before i put an algae tablet in to see if it wud distract him and it did. i think it stoped but idontkno if he started again.

Its 8 inches and i got him from my sisters bf at about 5 inches. it was peacefull and never did nething like this before. I kno before i used to randomly find he was missing some of his dorsal fin which wud happen at night, mabe hes getting his revenge? i kno wen my convicts bred before, they probly did a number on him. maybe also cuz hed bump into other sleeping fish (jack dempsey, green terror?). the jack and gt rnt being chased but they stick to their pots.

The pleco will chase my convicts, a clown loach and jurupari cichlid. no other plecos in the tank. i dont mind if its recomended i trade him in, he is getting big and too big for my 36x24x13, 48 gallon tank. Ive been looking into a bristlenose. The cichlids rnt full grown but the bio loads gona get higher and higher since every1s growing. I do 40% water change once a week and it seems to be ok tho i think shud get a nitrate test kit.

i do plan on getting a new tank by the summer, at least another 10 gal, prob a 20. my currnet stock from biggest to smallest fish: Pleco 8 inch, severum 5 inch (max, guessing), severum 4 , jack d 4, gt 4, jurupari 3.5, clown loach 2.5, convict 2, con 1.75, con 1, 4 bronze cories( some size between in here), con 1.25.

1-2 cons will be staying, the other 2-3 traded/sold/given. bottomline is the plecos the biigest and i need to bring the load down im assuming, so hes gota be downsized to little brisltenose.
emp 400 turbines r nicely covered in bacteria :lol: . im open to ne thoughts on this, i think its gona be too high wen this fish get to adults, sevs getting huge 8O . 40-50% water changes might not be enough im guessing. the swimming room might cut it but it isnt deep (13") and just plain not enough volume.

i beleive the pleco is one of the most commonest types this is exactly what it looks like:

Your fish is a common pleco, and will get to be huge. He'll need at least a 75 gallon when he hits 12", and larger (about 6' x 2') as he grows to full size.

He looks a little thin in the picture. I would be sure to feed him some fresh vegetables at least twice a week. His underside should curve out a bit.

I would suspect he's starting to feel crowded in that size tank, and maybe like he needs to compete for food. They are usually very peaceful fish. If you can find a good home for him it might be a good idea, and until then feed him up a bit! :)

Back
Top Bottom