Agressive freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh i thought u meant live with guppies. Get an oscar. Mine is incredibly smart and is only 6 inches and eats things bigger than guppies. Even though its the only fish u could get u wont regret it

Flowerhorns are beautiful u could also do a blue acara or a severum idk if they eat guppies though

Okay. I'm thinking probably an Oscar or an electric blue jack damsey but I'll also look at the flower horn.

Can any of these have more than one in the 55? Or would it be only one no matter which one I chose?

I think you can do two of any of those. But it going to be high bio load. So filtration needs to be a high priority and a lot of it.

Okay. I'm thinking probably an Oscar or an electric blue jack damsey but I'll also look at the flower horn.

Can any of these have more than one in the 55? Or would it be only one no matter which one I chose?

Oscars, while some people have pulled them off in 55s, 75s are really the minimum tank size for them. I would recommend a Jack Dempsey, Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, or a Green Terror for that sized tank.

I'm starting to lean towards electric blue jack Dempsey but really love the look of an Oscar and how they behave. I'm 99% sure it will be one of those 2.

So the only reason I'm iffy on the Oscar is because I heard they get to big for a 55 gal and I won't be able to rehome it if it gets too big...

If I get really good filtration for my 55 and do WC once or twice a week would it be able to live it's full life in the 55?

Khij159753 said:
So the only reason I'm iffy on the Oscar is because I heard they get to big for a 55 gal and I won't be able to rehome it if it gets too big...

If I get really good filtration for my 55 and do WC once or twice a week would it be able to live it's full life in the 55?

Well, a 55 is 12 in wide(standard) and an Oscar can be 24" from what I've heard. I may be wrong there.

emerald76 said:
Well, a 55 is 12 in wide(standard) and an Oscar can be 24" from what I've heard. I may be wrong there.

Oscars get more like 14" give or take but yea I don't recommend a 55, I have heard this is the very limits of how small you can keep one in but I personally wouldn't do it, it will definitely get stunted a bit and keeping water chemistry right will be a nightmare, in my opinion I would say 75 bare minimum.

Okay well I just talked to someone who has one right now in a 55 and it's been alive for 11 years so im thinking I'll probably do it in the 55 and maybe upgrade if a time comes when I think it's needed. I'll be putting Alot of filtration on the tank cause I know they are very dirty and I'll be doing 1 or 2 large water changes a week.

Ok, I have heard it can be done so good luck, hope it all works out well :)

EBJD's look awesome. I took care of my uncles and his diet essentially consisted of just guppies. I vote for that!

I would go with the Ebjd and some other smaller fish unless you can't live without the Oscar. Each to their own. My Ebjd is very territorial and he is only barely 4" and the other fish are 6" or larger. Very entertaining and cool looking

Okay. I just got a job at a fish store and get a huge discount so now I'm thinking of doing a saltwater predatory tank but I still don't know.

Back
Top Bottom