agressive rummy nose tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdmaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have six rummy nose tetras in my 55 gallon tank. They appear to be aggressively chasing and possibly even nipping at my forktail rainbows. One in particular, seems to be getting harrassed.

Any idea(s) as to why what are normally peaceful fish, seem to be acting agressively towards another peaceful fish?

That's odd. Normally, those are peaceful.

You may try increasing the number of rummynose tetras in the tank, since you're at the bare minimum for a school anyway. That may help.

Decided to get more rummy nose...

One of my forktails died while I was at the store!! : (

Skipped QT to get new rummies in tank...could tell right away that the extra rummies were not helping. The tank looked like WWII!!

Took all the rummies and put them in my 10 g...

Would love to know why these supposedly peaceful fish were behaving this way...

jdmaze said:
Decided to get more rummy nose...

One of my forktails died while I was at the store!! : (

Skipped QT to get new rummies in tank...could tell right away that the extra rummies were not helping. The tank looked like WWII!!

Took all the rummies and put them in my 10 g...

Would love to know why these supposedly peaceful fish were behaving this way...

How long have they been in the tank, and what are your water parameters? Sometimes new fish just need to get adjusted, and eventually settle down. If they just started acting like this, and you've had them for a while, it could be your water parameters getting to them.

Water parameters are good and have not changed. Ironically, the rummies faces were quite bright red.

I added the first three rummies on 5/10. I added three more (6 total) on 5/13. Things were fine with the first three but the agressive behavior began when the total got to six.

I have not heard or read about fish acting agressive during a settling in period. How long does the adjustment last? Can it be avoided or should I expect to have some losses when introducing new fish even if they are supposed to be peaceful additions?

FYI, I did all the "normal" acclimation steps, fed before, lights off, etc...

jdmaze said:
Water parameters are good and have not changed. Ironically, the rummies faces were quite bright red.

I added the first three rummies on 5/10. I added three more (6 total) on 5/13. Things were fine with the first three but the agressive behavior began when the total got to six.

I have not heard or read about fish acting agressive during a settling in period. How long does the adjustment last? Can it be avoided or should I expect to have some losses when introducing new fish even if they are supposed to be peaceful additions?

FYI, I did all the "normal" acclimation steps, fed before, lights off, etc...

It could take up to a month. I think it'll calm down before then though. They just need to establish a bit of a government... And we all know how that goes lol. Sounds like your on the right track though.

I have 7 rummynose and never experienced aggressive behavior with them, this is odd??????

Is just one the aggressive??? Maybe is just one temperamental fish.

Back
Top Bottom