albino and normal bn pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really love longfin albino bn plecs and was wondering do they mate with normal ones? and what would the babies be like if they did?

I don't have an answer for your question but I just got an albino bn pleco. Not longfin though. So I googled it. What a gorgeous fish!

Laurie said:
I don't have an answer for your question but I just got an albino bn pleco. Not longfin though. So I googled it. What a gorgeous fish!

They are beautiful when find one I plan on getting it :)

I have a longfin albino bn pleco and he's georgeous... I hope its a male! I'm attaching a link to a youtube jumbo tank so you can check out the longfin bn pleco's. I wonder if that male got his unique color/markings from having 1 normal and 1 albino parent. I have no clue but it is the most unique and beautiful BNP I've ever seen. Plus the tank is pretty awesome too!

Jumbo Planted Tank.mov - YouTube

I have a longfin albino bn pleco and he's georgeous... I hope its a male! I'm attaching a link to a youtube jumbo tank so you can check out the longfin bn pleco's. I wonder if that male got his unique color/markings from having 1 normal and 1 albino parent. I have no clue but it is the most unique and beautiful BNP I've ever seen. Plus the tank is pretty awesome too!

Oh my goodness! That tank AND those plecos are gorgeous! *want*

Rivercats said:

Jumbo Planted Tank.mov - YouTube

omg soooo amazing im in love with them and the tank just stunning! thanks for that :)

I stumbled across that about a year plus ago when I was getting ideas of how I wanted to plant my 220g tank. That is also when I decided I wanted a longfin albino BNP.

Eeeep :D just found two people that have the albino longfin bn plecs so excited!! One person babies are only a month old and 2cm how cute, he also said he'd give some free frog bit, water sprite and some other floating plants free yay! I was wanting something other Pythian duckweed to go in both my tanks to make the gouramis happier. I'm going to get two if I can at that size put one in my sons 50litre to grow out. And one in my tank. I have two normal bn plecs in mine already but babies also, so I'll move the smallest one 3cm in to my sons with the albino LF that leaves one of each babies in both tanks. And by the time they are grown ill have the bigger tank for them.

His long did it take you to plant your tank like that. What plants are in the background? Foreground?

Yes they will breed together. Red, albino, common, marbled, long or short fin will all breed together as they are just colour morfs of the same species. :)

As said they will breed together, how the fry are really depends on the parents and how strong the genes are in the parents. The long fin gene is believed to be dominant over short fin though this is debated a bit by my understanding.

Breeding albino and non albino plecs you can probably expect to have about 50% albino and 50% non. If the albino parent comes from 2 albino parents you can expect a stronger gene. Even a non albino plec can carry the albino gene though and this can add into how many albino babies you get. IT really all depends on so many factors so it's hard to say what you will end up with until it happens but it would be safe to say you will get some albino and non albino babies and can probably expect some with long fins in there too.

im going to pick them up today. That would be awsome to see what the babies would turn out. very interesting. Thanks for the info that answered it perfectly :)

I got them and he gave me an extra free they are so tiny! The Mum and dad were so gorgeous. I also got a endlers live bearer male and female and 2 golden mystery snails. A lot of water sprite, hornwort, frog bit and two other sorts of floating plants for free enough for two tanks and the water feature outside :) . I'll try and get some pics of the babies tomorrow and post them up.

Lord they are tiny!!! Gotta admit they really are cute when they are that little.

Rivercats said:
Yeah, you and me both! But I'd really like to know how that male BNP got those gold, albino colored, markings. :smitten:

My longfin brown plecos have those light colored tips on their fins. They really are gorgeous, I hope mine gets fins that long and full when they are grown. I had a longfin albino as well but she got eaten when I had to move a crayfish into their tank temporarily due to its tank crashing during a power outage. Made me very sad.

Back
Top Bottom