Alec's 75g cycling thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awilson133

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! I got a new but used 75g tank and I need some guidance on fishless cycling it! I know how to do it I've done it before. I just need some guidance:)
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0
I'm using a established fluval 406 canister filter. I dosed the ammonia to 4.0ppm last night around 6 so ill check again to night :) help appreciated

Hi everyone! I got a new but used 75g tank and I need some guidance on fishless cycling it! I know how to do it I've done it before. I just need some guidance:)
Ph 7.5
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5.0
I'm using a established fluval 406 canister filter. I dosed the ammonia to 4.0ppm last night around 6 so ill check again to night :) help appreciated

Let us know how the test comes out. :)

By 'established' did you mean that the filter media came from another tank? If so, that should speed cycling significantly.

Sounds good so far. The cycled filter should help immensely. Keep us posted. What are your plans for the tank? It's a great size! :)

Thanks :) I havent really decided yet. Ciclids are a no go:/ I'm checking my levels now. I did however do a 50% wc cause I needed to move the tank like 2 more inches. So my ammo might be lower than it should because of the water change. Levels as of now are..at..
Ammonia 2.0
Ph 7.9
Nitrites 0

My levels as of now are.
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrites 0
Ph.8.0
Should I wait another day? Or bring it back up to 4.0

Give it another day before dosing. Check your nitrates, too. With the cycled media, I expect to see some already. Looks great! :)

Okay sounds good:) I put some fine flakes in there before I left the house ..

Okay I checked today and my
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrites .50
Nitrates 30
Ph 8.0

Soooo...my
Ammonia is 1.0ppm
Nitrites 0.25 ppm
Nitrates 50 ppm
Ph 8.0

I add a old established media today.
My ammonia .50
Nitrites 5.0
Nitrates 90
Ph 7.9
I think its moving along quite nicely

Should I do a water change to raise my Ph and lower my nitrates?

Let's wait one more day to see where your ph goes. The nitrate level is not a big concern but with your nitrites 5(+), it won't hurt to bring them down some. If your ph drops any further, it's definitely time for a big wc. :)

Back
Top Bottom