Alex's 20 Gallon Planted Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. I had no idea how bad it was! I have a tiny scrap of it now but it's already growing. Should I get rid of it?

I would.. it will overtake your whole tank in a couple months with that much light and co2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow. Well I'll do that then!

from my own personal experience. . It's destroyed my 20 tall. It has creeped through the rotala and the narrow leaf chain sword, it slowly choking it all out.. algae and java moss are kind in that castle currently.. i will have to tear the whole thing down soon and it sucks..

from my own personal experience. . It's destroyed my 20 tall. It has creeped through the rotala and the narrow leaf chain sword, it slowly choking it all out.. algae and java moss are kind in that castle currently.. i will have to tear the whole thing down soon and it sucks..

Well it is now gone from there tank. Every last scrap! I mean its really only one scrap but its gone now lol. Thanks for telling me.

Here's the FTS from today:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406419933.875024.jpg

Tomorrow some of the staurogyne repens gets a trim, as well as the rotala.

I went to 2 different petcos to find glowlight tetras. I got 4 more today. I now have 5 rummys, 7 glowlights, 1 oto.

Looking good.
What have you decided for the back wall? I saw some choices such as Pogo erectus, Rotala sp, Ambulia, B caroliniana mentioned. If you can get a hold of pogo erectus grown submerged, then go for it. I ordered some and it arrived emerged and it resembled an evergreen branch. Sent half to brookster and planted it. 90-95% of it melted away a week or two later. The surviving part is all that is growing now. I think Brookster reported similar results. I am also growing R wallichii and it is appreciative of strong light. The planted + seems to be doing the job but not sure how it will do yet. The B caroliniana will grow like a weed. Nice lime green color. I had Ambulia once but it did not do so well. But that was under a different light and different conditions.

Looking good.
What have you decided for the back wall? I saw some choices such as Pogo erectus, Rotala sp, Ambulia, B caroliniana mentioned. If you can get a hold of pogo erectus grown submerged, then go for it. I ordered some and it arrived emerged and it resembled an evergreen branch. Sent half to brookster and planted it. 90-95% of it melted away a week or two later. The surviving part is all that is growing now. I think Brookster reported similar results. I am also growing R wallichii and it is appreciative of strong light. The planted + seems to be doing the job but not sure how it will do yet. The B caroliniana will grow like a weed. Nice lime green color. I had Ambulia once but it did not do so well. But that was under a different light and different conditions.

Thank you! Pogo erectus is what I'm going with. It will go right in the middle. I'll try to spread the AR to the right a bit, and have pogo erectus between it and the ludwigia. The bacopa monnieri is practically dead, still two living stems so at least they might grow back. And I got a surprise today! I had crypt parva for a while but a few of the plants died off. I thought it had gone away but today I noticed a small plant near the ludwigia and it has even sent out a runner! It might replace the downoi which has pretty much died.

So I added 1.5 grams of mono potassium phosphate and 6 grams of potassium sulfate to the macro bottle. I also added 8 grams of CSM+B to the micro bottle. This is what I have now:

Original:
29.5 grams of K2SO4
32.5 grams of KNO3
3 grams of KH2PO4
20.5 grams of MgSO4

40 grams of CSM+B

Tweaked:
37 grams of K2SO4
28 grams of KNO3
5 grams of KH2PO4
18.5 grams of MgSO4

50 grams of CSM+B

Per 500 ml

I'm trimming the melting part if the rotala. Since it was melting I though it might be a potassium or phosphate deficiency.

So my dad forgot the good camera ( :banghead: ) but thats okay because it will just make Sunday more dramatic! :D My mom will take care of the tank until then. Here are some pics from today:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406503144.858136.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406503166.348522.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406503186.322637.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406503206.735376.jpg

That is looking good...water is nice and clear!!

Thanks! I made some PPS pro adjustments and I think that by Sunday when I get back it will look better and more grown out. I'm glad I haven't seen any algae aside from a few spots of green spot algae. I wish I could train it to grow on the BACK glass only! :banghead:

Looking pretty healthy over there man!

Looking pretty healthy over there man!

Haha yeah. Plants must have came from a good source! :lol: the bacopa and downoi got completely fried in transport and waiting, never recovered, but everything else is doing great! I see tons of new rotala growth, some AR, and a bit of AR mini growth.

Let me know if you need more.. my downoi is getting all karate kid with the co2 cranking.. ar mini has been tough for me thus far.. it takes off than twists and gets all coated in gda.. i try to favor the healthy growth by trimming away problematic or "slacker" leaves as often as needed..

Let me know if you need more.. my downoi is getting all karate kid with the co2 cranking.. ar mini has been tough for me thus far.. it takes off than twists and gets all coated in gda.. i try to favor the healthy growth by trimming away problematic or "slacker" leaves as often as needed..

Are you seeing the disfigured leaves from the AR mini? I am. And same with the regular AR. Sometimes half the plants. Is this a CO2 or fert deficiency? I've had it recover on its own but wondering if it is better to trim off the poor growth (and algae covered leaves) and let it re-grow new leaves.

Are you seeing the disfigured leaves from the AR mini? I am. And same with the regular AR. Sometimes half the plants. Is this a CO2 or fert deficiency? I've had it recover on its own but wondering if it is better to trim off the poor growth (and algae covered leaves) and let it re-grow new leaves.

Not disfigured so much as narrow and touched by algae.. there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either, same plant will have 70% awesome growth with a few slackers mixed in.. i trim and if it reaches I cut and replant..you've had much more bonding time with the ar than I have though.. has co2 helped yours much? Is it all about high lighting?

Are you saying my tank specifically or just in general? They are a bit small and light but they look worse in the pictures.

Edit: nevermind just got it.

Are you saying my tank specifically or just in general? They are a bit small and light but they look worse in the pictures.

Edit: nevermind just got it.

This will be pertinent to your tank too I'm guessing.. seems to be a tricky one.. except for the brians' that is..

Back
Top Bottom