Algae bloom HELP!! Am I missing something??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lewis.r

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 15 gal aquarium currently running 2 filters in it marina i110 and superfish 100.
Tank temperature 20 degrees Celsius
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates around 40ppm
pH 8
Current stock is:
5 white clouds
2 guppy
2 platies

I have around 5 plants in a low tech set up which are growing fine also have a small air stone.

Now my problem with algae isn't massive but I have certainly seen an increase in growth of algae since I have replaced the light bulb.
For the last year I have been using T8 power Glo and just replaced it with a T8 life glo (both are part of the Hagen range)
The algae has only really started to grow more since I have changed the light and one of my plants that was planted with the power glo bulb seems to just be melting away and not doing so well.
The answers I'm after on this is... is this because of the change of the light bulb? I know the colour temp has changed from 18k to 6700k and the colour range is slightly different or is there something else going on here that I'm missing?
I would have thought it may be to do with the change of light as it was fine before and rarely got brown algae.

Thanks

I don't do planted tanks (wish I could), but I can tell you that half a dozen otocinclus may do quite well at controlling your algae.

Uv filters can actually damage your plants or am I thinking of a uv sterilizer, I know a female who melted every single plant(lots and very expensive) in her tank with one when she was treating the tank for columanaris, here's an easy fix cut your light time, if you're doing 12/12 cut back to 8/16

I have a planted tank and my UV filter is on 24/7 and none of my plants ever damaged. Being using UV for over two months now and I see as my fish are flying in air. Always crystal clear water. This is for freshwater tank I am talking about. Don't know about marine.

Here's was freshwater as well she melted 800+ dollars in plants as it was an aquascape i might be thinking of a different thing hers was a light that you had to wear protect clothing for

I don't know what she did. UV sterilizer for me is perfect. And I don't understand that its even possible to melt plants. Melting means some very hot light being applied to plants so they damaged. Anyways, after getting UV I am happy. My water is clean and fish are free from things like ich. It acts like a shield as well.

I see. Its different than the UV sterilizer. UV sterilizer light is not directed at plants at all.

Gee my ears were burning this morning. You guys talking about me and my nuking the plants with UVC light. Lol

I did it too close and too long. However all of them are recovering in my nursery tank. But I never added meds to my tank and didn't lose anymore fish.
Or I never had columnaris in the first place and it was something else.IMG_7392.jpg

The Java fern, buce and anubias in this pic are all from the UVC nuke.

Last edited:
Very nice TM, yeah I was thinking back to your plants and looked back to see it was a bulb not a filter

Yep. Poor things. I spotted a Hydra in my nursery and now my hubbie wants to make me a laser/UV pin light to zap them. I told him I'm waiting for the model I can strap the the shrimp. Shrimp with freakin laser beams on their heads.

Any increase in light without the appropriate increase in carbon dioxide and fertilizers can trigger algae growth. Optimal color temp paired with a new bulb is a step up in lighting.
For now I would decrease the number of hours the light is on. Moving forward, I would look to increasing fertilizers and the carbon source.

Any increase in light without the appropriate increase in carbon dioxide and fertilizers can trigger algae growth. Optimal color temp paired with a new bulb is a step up in lighting.
For now I would decrease the number of hours the light is on. Moving forward, I would look to increasing fertilizers and the carbon source.

It's only on 8 hours a day currently, should I reduce it to 7 do you think? In terms of the algae growth is it because the plants are using up all the nutrients? I currently don't use ferts or a carbon source just an air stone

Yes, anywhere from 5-7 hours would be fine.
Yes, the new lighting has caused an increase in the demand for fertilizers and carbon. Apparently it (no ferts/carbon source) was fine with less lighting. Additional light has thrown it off balance, affecting plant growth in a negative way. Algae is very opportunistic.

Yes, anywhere from 5-7 hours would be fine.
Yes, the new lighting has caused an increase in the demand for fertilizers and carbon. Apparently it (no ferts/carbon source) was fine with less lighting. Additional light has thrown it off balance, affecting plant growth in a negative way. Algae is very opportunistic.

So if I kept the light the same over the next few weeks should it eventually balance out or do you think I should go back to the old bulb (power glo) but just get a new one (as the previous was around 1 year old)?
God I hate algae and how little things can effect the whole tank!! Lol
Thanks for your advice by the way

Back
Top Bottom