Algae cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babygrand

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone tell me good fish or cleaner that would help with the green algae. I have a 75 gallon salt tank with live rock and it has cycled well, now I have a crop a hairy green algae in it. Any suggestion?

Try and pull some out by hand, or siphon some out when doing a PWC. Using Ro/DI water will help cut down on excess nutrients ( if you arn't using it already.. unsure from your post) as well as reducing feeding - how often are you feeding?
as for critters, depends on your preference. I have a sally lightfoot, about 10 hermits and various snails. They seem to do a pretty good job in keeping algae under control. I've heard emeralds are decent, for that as well. My cleaner shrimp seem to help pick up any excess food, too. Depends on your size of tank, but certain tangs and angels can eat some algae, too.

Melinda had some great advice there.
I would look at eliminating the excess nutrients instead of a band aid solution. My pincushion urchin mows down some serious hair algea.

There are a lot of critters out there that will eat hair algae up. The question that you will want to look at is why you have it. Test your water and see what your nitrates are. Since your cycle has finished how many PWCs have you done? How large? How often? What is your source water? Are you using tap water or RO/DI?

It's best to find the source of the issue rather then put the band aid on it.

I am using well water and have not had much problem with it so far. I plan to build a salt reef tank with fish and corals. I have a fire cleaner shrimp, two gobies, 4 damsels a couple snails and a couple of hermit crabs.Everyone seems happy. The green algae just started. I have tested the water and they are all in the levels that they should be at. I think that I may be loving them too much with food.

Can someone tell me good fish or cleaner that would help with the green algae. I have a 75 gallon salt tank with live rock and it has cycled well, now I have a crop a hairy green algae in it. Any suggestion?

if you really want to get a fish that will eat the algae, get a scopus tang when first started my tank i had lots of algae got a scopus tang 2 days later all the algae was gone.

Back
Top Bottom