Algae Eaters and cats, Do I really need one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xenos

Aquarium Advice Regular
The lfs keeps trying to sell me a plecostomas ( I know I spelled that wrong), but I was told they relieve themselves a lot and are very messy in their own way. I also know they get huge. Is algae all that bad? I have no bottom feeders although my Discus and angels do eat whatever falls to the bottom. Do I need catfish too? I just learned you have to have corys in groups and all the other cats I see get too big. Is it dire to have algae eaters and cats if you are careful not to over feed. My fish pick at the bottom directly after feeding time. I don't really want any more than the four fish I have unless its required. I don't plan on upgrading to a larger tank for another six months.

Of course you need cats, but I am just biased because I like them so much. There is no real need to have any, unless you don't want your tank to lake that certain flair only a cat can give.

gotta have an algae eating fish and a bottom feeding fish so a pleco and a cory cat are great additions!

If you enjoy cleaning your tank, then there's no need to add a cat or algae eater of any type. I, on the other hand, HATE cleaning the tank -- so I have my fish friends do it for me. (OK, OK, so I really do have to help every once in a while.)

~ T

I have to do weekly water changes anyways because of the Discus. I'm actually suppose to do it daily but I found that it is less stressful and my discus seems more healthy than when I was doing the changes daily. I gravel vac every two weeks. I don't want to over crowd or deplete too many vitals. I have a couple angels, a discus, and a baby ghost knife in a 29 gal (soon to be up dated to a 90 gal) and a few live plants. I just wanted to know if those cats and algae eaters were vital for my ecosystem? Or can it wait six months till my up grade?

Back
Top Bottom