Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulip55555

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm looking for a good, peaceful, clean algae eater. I've read that some will suck on fish at night while they are sleeping, and some poop so much that it just makes a huge mess of the tank. I've got a 40g. I don't want anything that gets bigger than 5-maybe 6-inches. Really, the smaller the better-3-4 inches would be ideal.

tulip55555 said:
I'm looking for a good, peaceful, clean algae eater. I've read that some will suck on fish at night while they are sleeping, and some poop so much that it just makes a huge mess of the tank. I've got a 40g. I don't want anything that gets bigger than 5-maybe 6-inches. Really, the smaller the better-3-4 inches would be ideal.

Alright do u have any aggressive fish? Otto is one of the best algae eater available. It stays small! They are high sensitive though. U need to acclimate them slowly via the drip method. Mine took about 3-4 hours to finish acclimating! They are also sensitive towards high nitrate and ph fluctuation. They love diatoms. :)

Alright do u have any aggressive fish? Otto is one of the best algae eater available. It stays small! They are high sensitive though. U need to acclimate them slowly via the drip method. Mine took about 3-4 hours to finish acclimating! They are also sensitive towards high nitrate and ph fluctuation. They love diatoms. :)

I can't find these anywhere down here ( I've been looking for them for my son's 50g guppy/platy tank. I personally like albino bristlenose pleco's (prefer butterfly) and if you are using sand I always use banjo catfish to keep it well sifted.

I bought 5 from wal-mart, I know I hate even looking at the tanks there but no one else was open and its a 25mile drive... I must have gotten lucky as they all are fine and frisky as all get out, look like they are on crack when I turn up the bubbles on the powerhead.

What about Siamese Flying Foxes? They've done a stirling job in my tank. They get to be about 5 or 6" and eat pretty much every type of algae. Dead peaceful, verging on the shy and pretty ( well I think so anyway!)

The Siamese algae eaters we get here in the U.S. tend to be aggressive. Actually, they aren't "true" Siamese, but it's hard to tell the difference. It's been a long time since having an aquarium, but I have ALWAYS only used Siamese algae eaters. I guess they are a "different breed" nowadays.

Thanks everybody. Still haven't gotten anything, so I'll take any suggestions.

For a tank like you described you cant beat ottos. I use them in my 20g. I also added a mystery snail just to have something different.

tulip55555 said:

AES (amano shrimp) would be my suggestion, they're not picky about what they eat (any algae, food, poop) and they don't add a ton of poop to your tanks bioload like many cleaners will. Best part is, unlike many algae eaters, you don't need to feed them like otos or algae eaters that can not survive on algae alone.

Mr. Limpet said:
AES (amano shrimp) would be my suggestion, they're not picky about what they eat (any algae, food, poop) and they don't add a ton of poop to your tanks bioload like many cleaners will. Best part is, unlike many algae eaters, you don't need to feed them like otos or algae eaters that can not survive on algae alone.

Ive always wanted amano! May ship them into perth one day! But ottos can survive on algae solely!

Really? I was told to feed them wafers, that's when I rehomed them lol.

The vast majority of the otos I've kept wouldn't even accept prepared foods. They need plenty of algae to sustain them.

Amano shrimp, on the other hand, are much easier to feed because they will accept pretty much any supplemental food you throw in there. If you run out of algae for them to eat, it's not that big of a deal.

Mr. Limpet said:
Really? I was told to feed them wafers, that's when I rehomed them lol.

Ya my ottos wouldn't accept the algae wafers i offered them! The algae wafer will end up in my Betta stomach if left in there for too long! Haha but like Serevum mama said they can survive on algae only if it is plentiful! =\

Haha and I'm surprised u were able to catch them! Ottos are so quick!

Ickletas said:
What about Siamese Flying Foxes? They've done a stirling job in my tank. They get to be about 5 or 6" and eat pretty much every type of algae. Dead peaceful, verging on the shy and pretty ( well I think so anyway!)

They are either flying foxes or siamese algae eaters there is no such thing as siamese flying foxes... Also flying foxes get 8-10 sae get 5-6 and both get aggressive when they mature and flying foxes quit eating algae as adults

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/Siamese_Flying_Fox.html
Cyprinids & Characins
Crossocheilus siamensis Siamese Algae Eater (SAE) / Siamese Flying Fox

Adult size 5 1/2" (14cm)
Good general cleaner: Red/Black, Tufted, Hair & Brush; Unlikely to damage plants
Often considered the best algae eater for larger tanks and the only known algae eater to eat red algae. Needs a well planted tank with a good tight fitting lids as they are very good jumpers. They thrive is schools but are also good to be kept in pairs. Interestingly the swim bladder is not very developed (compared to other fish), so the fish must be in constant motion or it sinks. The true SAE is often difficult to find and is commonly confused with the Flying Foxes. The SAE is generally distinguished by the serrated or blurred edges to the black stripe on its sides. The other similar looking species have straight edges on their stripe.
img_1402621_0_c89834ffa4375b90b445521b28f81796.jpg

Different name for the same fish? Happens sometimes.

and this:
Crossocheilus oblongus Siamese Flying Fox / Shark Algae Eater / Siamese Algae Eater

Adult size just under 6" (15cm)
Moderate algae eater: Green Surface, Tufted, Hair & Brush; Unlikely to damage plants
Ideal for a community tank as they are not aggressive but avoid other shark shaped fish just to be safe. However, the Siamese Flying Fox should be kept in pairs for results. The Siamese Flying Fox has a smooth black band running down its length that does not extend through the tail.

Crossocheilus oblongus are commonly called Siamese flyingfoxes on this side of the pond and Crossocheilus siamensis, Siamese algae eaters. The fish I have and call sff are Crossocheilus oblongus. I shall try and use the latin in future to avoid any confusion.

Wow, it's kinda funny how we use completely different names in different countries! :)

Indeed :D
Purse= handbag
Pavement=sidewalk
Boot = trunk
bonnet = hood
the list is seemingly endless although my favourite is fanny-pack, a fanny is not a bottom over here!!(it's entirely more personal lol!)

Two countries divided by a common language (someone famous that I can't be bothered to look up)

Back
Top Bottom