Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420439800.913363.jpg I need help choosing some algae eaters for my tank. I currently have a 30 G tank with 7 serpae tetras 6 neons 3 Otos and a rainbow shark. I bought the Otos to help with the Algae but they don't seem to be doing a good job. I also I'm planning to get a few Angel fish and I just don't no what algae eater will work out the best. This is my first tank and any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't buy algae eaters and expect them to eat every kind of Algae. If you buy competing algae eaters, your Otos could starve. You'll need to feed them anyway.

Lights on timers 6 hours a day
Don't overfeed
Weekly PWCs
No sun on tank

What kind of Algae are you getting ?

Nerite snails are my best algae eaters. But I've had them starve. They ate all the algae and wouldn't eat anything else.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you dosing ferts ?
PWC schedule ?

Algae can be a sign something is out of balance. What are you feeding your Otos ?

What are your water test results ?

You need more plants ?

Are you dosing ferts ?
PWC schedule ?

Algae can be a sign something is out of balance. What are you feeding your Otos ?

You need more plants ?

Forgive me I am new to the hobby but what is a PWC schedule

Forgive me I am new to the hobby but what is a PWC schedule

Partial Water Change Schedule. How much water is replaced (usually expressed in %) and how often per week.

Are you dosing ferts ?
PWC schedule ?

You need more plants ?

Are you dosing ferts ?
PWC schedule ?

You need more plants ?

I am not doing any fertilizer if that's what you mean by ferts.

My PWC is 25% every Saturday

I am not feeding my Otos I'm just letting them feed off of the algae in the tank

And my water test results are:

Nitrate: safe (20)
Nitrite: stress (just realized my filter wasn't running at max so that should go down)

Water hardness: Very Hard

Chlorine: 0

Alkalinity: moderate

Ph: 8.4

You may want to up your amounts on water changes. 30-50% is what I do weekly. It gives the plants minerals and helps keep the Ammonia and Nitrate down.

That will also help control Algae.

Your plants will grow better if you feed them. Support your plants so they out compete the Algae.

Your PH is very high. I would not expect Angels to thrive long term in such hard water.

Are you testing with liquid or strips or stick on gauges ?

Liquid tests are most accurate.

What is your Ammonia test result ?

How long are lights on ?

How long has the tank been running ? New tanks may get soft brown algae, which is actually diatoms which will go away on their own.

Last edited:
You may want to up your amounts on water changes. 30-50% is what I do weekly. It gives the plants minerals and helps keep the Ammonia and Nitrate down.

That will also help control Algae.

Your plants will grow better if you feed them. Support your plants so they out compete the Algae.

Your PH is very high. I would not expect Angels to thrive long term in such hard water.

Are you testing with liquid or strips or stick on gauges ?

Liquid tests are most accurate.

What is your Ammonia test result ?

How long are lights on ?

How long has the tank been running ? New tanks may get soft brown algae, which is actually diatoms which will go away on their own.

I am testing with strips.

Strangely my kit doesn't come with an ammonia test.

My lights are on 12 hours a day from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm

I have had my tank going for about 3 weeks and I think it might be the diatoms you were referring to.

Does it grow as small specs on the walls of the aquarium?

The Ammonia test is sold separately.

Its normal for a new tank to get diatoms. Look it up for pics.

12hrs is too long IMHO. 6-8hrs is safer. More light doesn't grow plants, it grows Algae.

Your water ph is way too high for any of those fish to thrive in. You should get a neutral regulator to buffer your ph down to 7.0. Angelfish will eventually grow big and nasty and eat your tetras and otos and any other smaller fish. You need to add a lot more plants. More plants will take up excess nutrients so algae won't have any nutrients to feed off of. Some light fertilization is good as well. Please research fish compatibility and don't mix peaceful fish with aggressive ones. Ramshorn snails and amano shrimp are excellent additions to your cleanup crew. But don't add any more fish till your nitrites are 0 and your cycling is complete.

I have to politely disagree. You should leave PH alone unless you are trying to breed Fish and have a stable long-term solution to keep your pH lower.

Adding chemicals to your water just bounces your pH up-and-down and you will lose fish from that more than from having a stable high pH.

Tank raised fish are more tolerant of water conditions. Ideally you should always try to stock according to what your water conditions are in your area instead of just picking what you like.

Angels raised with smaller fish may continue to be okay with them. Adult angels are capable of eating neons, but do not usually go out of the way to harass tank mates do not fit in their mouth unless they are breeding.
Or you get a bully.

My friend keeps a school of Lemon Tetras in with her Angels and they are doing just fine. I consider Angels semi-aggressive.

You could look at adding Peat Moss to your filter. Google it. Driftwood may stain the water, but the fish will like the tannins.

If you add Angels, try to buy local so they are used to your water. If you have a local aquarium club talk to them, maybe a member breeds Angels.

Your rainbow shark may become very territorial so understand you may end up rehoming him. They often do best in long 55 gallon tanks with a Cave at one end, so they can be all grumpy and guard one end of the tank.

I would think only one adult Angel would fit in your tank so if you buy more than one baby angel, expect to have to rehome the others.

Oh and watch the Serpae, they can be nippy to long fins. It's a big enough tank they might be fine, but watch them, they might go after an Angel's fins.

Researching fish is always good advice ?

Back
Top Bottom