Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As soon as I'm satisfied my tank is healthy again, I would like to add an algae eater to solve the unwanted problem. The question is, what kind? I'm having some trouble finding many species. My LFS has Common Plecos but they get kinda big for my 12g tank. They were also trying to sell me a farlowella but I've read that they tend to die for no reason. There aren't a lot of stores around my area. Pretty much petland for buying fish. Wal-Mart and Petsmart are there, but well... yeah. Any suggestions? I'm going to keep looking for other stores (there has to be others in Tyler, I just haven't found em yet)

It really depends on the type of algae that you are having to deal with.

If you want to go with a pleco then i would suggest that you go with a bulldog pleco or a bristlenose pleco.

In all honesty though, dependant on your fish and the type of algae that you have, i would be more inclined to get a school of otocinclus catfish given the size of your tank.

Otto's for sure!

They go through algae like wildfire. One suggestion though, although I didn't loose the 2 I bought, you should plan on buying 2 or 3 extra, because a lot of people say they are hard to acclimate to the tank.

SerLunchbox said:
It really depends on the type of algae that you are having to deal with.

If you want to go with a pleco then i would suggest that you go with a bulldog pleco or a bristlenose pleco.
I have a rubber lip pleco (bulldog) i like him alot!

i naver had any issues with my oto cats, they did just fine in the 10 and are happy in the two, i guess i'm just lucky lol

but yeah they are great lil guys, just don't expect to see much of them lol

Has anyone had any experience with the Farlowella? I don't know whats going to be available to me honestly. I will have to stop by the LFS, but apparently there is only one here in Tyler that isnt a chain store.

Also, if I can find otto's, how many would you reccomend for a 12 gallon planted tank with minimal algae growth thus far?

2-3. I have one in my 55 gallon, started off with three. I plan on purchasing quite a few more once i am sure my tank is clean (just got done battling ich)

hsherman1986 said:
2-3. I have one in my 55 gallon, started off with three. I plan on purchasing quite a few more once i am sure my tank is clean (just got done battling ich)

Theres another question btw. Right now I'm battling ick myself with malachite green. Once I'm finished with treatment, how long (how many water changes) should I wait for until adding a scaleless fish?

Make sure you put fresh carbon in your filter when you are done with the treatment. It will remove the medicine. I would wait a few weeks and change water and carbon several times. Just for your info the next time you have to treat ich all you have to do is raise the temperature above 86f. The high temps will kill the ich without any meds.

add the carbon back to your filter, and that should take out most of the meds. I would do two 50% water changes (one a week) just to make sure all the meds are out, then you should be safe. (anyone else that might know better is free to pipe in :D )

I had to use the salt and heat method for my tank, as I have the ottos, and clown loaches of which are both sensitive to ich medications. but i still lost two ottos, and one clown loach to the ich.

OK, well in that case it would probably be best to wait till after I move later this month. Its only a short hop across town but I would rather not stress the fish with a tank change twice in 2 weeks anyway. Thanks for all your help.

hsherman1986 said:
I had to use the salt and heat method for my tank, as I have the ottos, and clown loaches of which are both sensitive to ich medications. but i still lost two ottos, and one clown loach to the ich.

you can't use salt with scaleless fish it burns them
and i think you use half the regular does of mala green for them, at least thats what my bottle says lol

My bottle says don't use it with scaleless fish at all. I have Wardley Essentials Ick Away.

just to warn you otos tend to die for no reason at all too, they also only eat certain kinds of algae

i would go with a SAE for sure, they eat every kind of algae afaik

bristlenose plecos would be my second choice

those 2 fish are the absolute best for eating algae

Alshain said:
My bottle says don't use it with scaleless fish at all. I have Wardley Essentials Ick Away.

i've got applus+ "anti fungus"

i still moved my oto's to my 1 gal because the dose i had to put in was too strong for them

I would like a bristlenose, but I have a Scribble (L129) pleco already... and there are not enough caves for them to both hide

Back
Top Bottom