Algae growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
my algae problem was just starting to die and then 3 days later the rock just grown with hair algae. Please dont ask my peramitors they are all 0 with calcium at 375 and salt at 1.022. I scrubed all the algae off my rock yesterday and they look very, very great with all purple on them. The algae dosent quite. In 2 weeks its all back again. I only put lights on 8 hours and feed every other day. Nothing seems to help.

any options I could do.

I know you don't want to hear it because I didn't either, but there is something wrong. Phosphates or Nitrates are out of spec. If your tank has been set up anytime at all you are going to have more then 0ppm of Nitrates and phosphates. It happens. Everything I have read or have been told is that you have to starve the algae. Water changes are the best thing for a nutrient rich system. What kind of filtration do you use? Do you have a sump/fuge? Increasing your water volume will help a lot! I have a 75gal tank with well over 120gal total in my system. HTH

Algae needs 3 things to grow, food, water and light....you cant remove the water, so you work with the other two issues. Your water has food for the algae in it. Nitrates or Phosphates or both. You recently put stronger lighting on your tank. If I am remembering the thread correctly, I hinted that you will get an algae problem..Make sure the lights are not on too long and then deal with the water issues.

Definitely some sound advice there. I would go with PWCs as well. I had a huge bloom when I upgraded my lights.

All excellent advice . I know I use a UV light that will get rid of algea spores. Just another option.

Back
Top Bottom