Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruna75

Aquarium Advice Activist
Noticed some green algae in my newly cycled tank and I am hoping for suggestions on how to get rid of it. I have a few low light plants in there so not sure how to go about it:/ thanks for any and all help :) I have vacuumed it up a couple of times but it just comes right back. here are some pics:

Attachments

• image-1722282458.jpg
    image-1722282458.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image-542401961.jpg
    image-542401961.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 57
That looks like the beginnings of BGA. There are plenty of resources and opinions available online for countermeasure.

Algae Problem

Hello Bru...

Algae growth is typical in new tanks. The plants, fish, bacteria, etc. are trying to work together to make a stable water chemistry and the nutrients you put into the tank when you feed your fish and plants can be a little too much. Dissolved food in the water makes a great environment for all kinds of algae to thrive.

While you're waiting for the water properties to settle, you can just scrape the front of the tank, so you can see into it. If algae isn't that bad, then just gradually reduce the amount you feed. Fish don't need to be fed more than a couple of times a week and just what they'll eat in a minute or so. The same with the plants. A little liquid a couple of times a week, is all most aqaurium plants need. If you feed more, then algae will grow.

Start changing out half the tank water every week and that will remove extra nutrients in the water. Plus, you won't have to worry about toxins building up. The water will always be safe for your fish and plants.

Feed just a little and do the water changes and in a few weeks the visible algae will be gone.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks guys. I am not sure what bga is but am about to google it;) I have done quite a few massive water changes while it was cycling and one 50 percent one since ( finished cycling almost a week now) nitrates are a 5 I am guessing because of the plants as my other tanks are a 10/20 and I change 30 percent on those every week but no live plants in there:/ the only thing I fed the plants were root tabs about 2 weeks ago. I put three in there spaced out by the clusters of plants. Too many maybe since my plants are all small? I have 9 small plants total. Oh and I leave my light on about 10 hours a day. I did turn them off early last night and on late this morning but don't want to harm my plants by less light either. Thanks again for the help I am off to go find our what bga is;)

Back
Top Bottom