Algae ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is anybody able to identify this type of (Im assuming) algae and possibly offer up solutions? Its a 2.5 gallon Fluval Spec. Currently there are only plants in it (Java moss and Dwarf Hair grass). Its been running for about a month. Im just using the LED lights that came with the system and the lights are on for about 10 hours a day in an attempt to get the grass to fill in. There is a Flourish Root Tab in the substrate and I dose liquid carbon daily.

Attachments

• algae1.jpg
    algae1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 91
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 86
Is it soft and kind of slimy? It looks like Rhizoclonium algae.

Increase your water flow/current in the tank. Use liquid carbon at a rate of 1ml per every 5 gallons of tank water. And start using ferts for the water column. I also suggest running lights only 6-8 hours also.

You can also spot treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Pull up 1-3ml of peroxide per 1 gallon of water. Turn off your filters. Slowly squirt algae with peroxide. Leave filter off for 20 minutes.

I can do all of that except increasing the water flow (I think). The Fluval Spec comes with a small water pump that is part of the filtration. I dont think its adjustable, but I'll pull it out and check.
I had read that youre not suppose to add any fertilizer the first 4-6 weeks of planting, but seeing as we're right around week 4... now's as good a time as any to start.

Thank you for the advice. :thanks:

Is it soft and kind of slimy? It looks like Rhizoclonium algae. Increase your water flow/current in the tank. Use liquid carbon at a rate of 1ml per every 5 gallons of tank water. And start using ferts for the water column. I also suggest running lights only 6-8 hours also. You can also spot treat the algae with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Pull up 1-3ml of peroxide per 1 gallon of water. Turn off your filters. Slowly squirt algae with peroxide. Leave filter off for 20 minutes.

Us there anything you don't know about aquaria rivercats?

I can do all of that except increasing the water flow (I think). The Fluval Spec comes with a small water pump that is part of the filtration. I dont think its adjustable, but I'll pull it out and check.
I had read that youre not suppose to add any fertilizer the first 4-6 weeks of planting, but seeing as we're right around week 4... now's as good a time as any to start.

Thank you for the advice. :thanks:

I don't know why someone would say plants don't need ferts the first 4 to 6 weeks after planting because in order to grow and flourish they need proper ferts available to them from the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom