Algae Issue (Bryopsis)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoC16

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been suffering from an algae outbreak and I have (along with my lfs) identified the type of algae to be bryopsis. I have been running a phosphate reactor for a month and a half, changing out the media every 10-14 days. I have seen videos on the internet about raising magnesium levels to above natural ocean levels to choke out the bryopsis but I'm not sure if its the way I should go about fighting this battle. I was considering dosing some extra magnesium and/or adding a hungry sea hare to help get rid of as much of the stuff as possible. I have seen some of the algae thin out a bit but its not really any significant impact. Some of my corals haven't been opening up very well because of this issue as well.

Phosphate: 0.06 ppm
Dose of Gfo: 10g per 10 gallons of water. (30 gallons total)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't add a sea hare to the problem. If the nitrates and phosphates are as low as you can get them, are you manually removing the stuff from the tank as well? It sounds like you are on the right track and shouldn't have to raise the mag to battle it...though if you need to do this the only proven product to fight byropsis with mag levels is with Kent's product.

I am removing as much manually as I can during each water change. Thanks for the response.

Bryopsis is a clean water algae, and will grow no matter how clean you keep your tank.
When treating the high MAG route, you must use Kent Tech M, it has an ingredient in it that the others don't, and keep your MAG at 1600 until its gone.

After adding my phosphate reactor, the difference in quantity of algae is minimal. I have been doing very thorough water changes, but the problem hasn't been resolved. I have lowered yhe nutrients to my tank as far as I can go. I feed my fish once to twice a week. I have my lights running 8-9 hours a day. I think I may go with the Kent Marine Tech M solution.

Bryopsis is a clean water algae, and will grow no matter how clean you keep your tank.
When treating the high MAG route, you must use Kent Tech M, it has an ingredient in it that the others don't, and keep your MAG at 1600 until its gone.
The kent tech M is the latest rage for bryopsis.
Cut and dry.
Search it and see.
I never doubt RM if anyone is paying attention(umhuh)And he said "you must use kent tech M" which other high MG links will bare out .
Just raising MG will not work.
There is something in the kent solution that is the trick(not just my opinion but seems to be prevailing belief of those in "the know")?

I got the Kent Marine Tech M. Should I dose what the bottle recommends or is there a specific dosage that works best,

I found this and another.
It is thought that an ingredient in Kent Tech M will kill Bryopsis; and that we can indirectly monitor the application of this ingredient by monitoring the magnesium levels in our tanks. People use Tech M to raise the magnesium level in their tanks by no more than 100ppm each day (to help prevent issues to our livestock, due to a sudden change in parameters), until magnesium levels reach 1800 to 1900ppm. These levels are then maintained for up to 4 weeks and then left to decline via consumption and normal water changes. It has been recommended that use of a Poly-Filter be discontinued during this time as the effective ingredient could be adsorbed by the media.
Both were basically the same with the second one saying to maintain the 1800 for only two weeks.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom