algae killing products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to know what you folks think about products such as tetra algae control, and API algae fix? Would they be okey to use once in a while? Or should I never even consider using them in a planted tank with fish?

Never even consider using them in a planted tank with fish... or a non planted tank with fish... or a non planted tank without fish... or a planted tank with no fish. JMHO ;)

Lol.. that is what I thought. But they are very convincing on the labels they say" controls algae without harming fish or plants". I wish it was true...

I am tired of my plants looking like this. Cusid algae!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_145853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_145853.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 122
I have no knowledge as to whether they will harm plants and/or fish... but I don't want to test it to find out. I'm very anti-chemical ;)

You're running co2, right? I keep forgetting who has what.

If u want something to take care of ur algae on plants, rocks, wood, gravel, sand, glass and anything else u can think of u need a fish called a flying fox they are the most amazing algae cleaners ever

Yes co2 (drop checker greenish yellow). It has gotten a lot better now that I have added the co2. I think I just need to give the plants a chance to out compeat the algae.

I have 2 SAE and 2 amano shrimp. The shrimp work hard bit the SAE just sit around on plant leaves.

Just give it some more time. If you want to speed it up, you can take a syringe full of h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) and apply it to the worst affected places. Clears up hair algae and bba in a day or two

xfactor6699 said:
Flying foxes are nothing like sae these guys put in work

I always heard it the other way around. I may have heard wrong.

I went on vacation for two weeks and my light timer broke and my lights were on the whole time I was gone a came back to a forrest of algae so I went and bought 2ff and I was amazed in 24 hours my tank looked awesome want perfect but amazed me (my tank is a 55g planted) their sweet lol

xfactor6699 said:
I went on vacation for two weeks and my light timer broke and my lights were on the whole time I was gone a came back to a forrest of algae so I went and bought 2ff and I was amazed in 24 hours my tank looked awesome want perfect but amazed me (my tank is a 55g planted) their sweet lol

Could you send me a picture of the FF? I don't think we are thinking for the same thing.

Do they have a black stripe down there back fin? BTW that is a great picture if they are anything like SAE they are really fast.

A lot of people get sae and them confused my dont have the black strip yet but I think they do get them when they get older

Mine have the black stripe. I thought that the way to tell them apart was if they had the black stripe on the tail? Foes that only indicate age?

FF's and sae can be told apart by their mouths ff's have regular mouths and sae have suckers

When I get home I will have to look at them to see. I a not home. Are the sucker mouths like a plecos or is it different?

Back
Top Bottom