algae killing products?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine definitely don't have big sucking lips. That means they are FF? Did they stop eating algae because they are old. They are about 5.5 inches long

Last edited:
When they become adults they have been known to stop but they are still alittle small for adults are u sure u dont have ottos they look kinda like ff's

fishfanatic said:
I am tired of my plants looking like this. Cusid algae!

I feel your pain regarding BBA. I am using DIY CO2 plus dosing w/Flourish excel, and it is slow going. Have considered getting a couple of sae, but really don't want or need to add to the bio load of this tank.

xfactor6699 said:
If u want something to take care of ur algae on plants, rocks, wood, gravel, sand, glass and anything else u can think of u need a fish called a flying fox they are the most amazing algae cleaners ever

NO to the flying fox! The SAE is a close relative and is the "correct" member of the family (also looks very similar). The flying fox is not so community-friendly.

Batt4Christ said:
I feel your pain regarding BBA. I am using DIY CO2 plus dosing w/Flourish excel, and it is slow going. Have considered getting a couple of sae, but really don't want or need to add to the bio load of this tank.

U should get shrimp if ur worried about bio they produce like none

fishfanatic said:
Mine have the black stripe. I thought that the way to tell them apart was if they had the black stripe on the tail? Foes that only indicate age?

Flying fox and SAE look very similar. Main difference is that the ff usually have a goldline above the black one, and also usually have at least a little color to their fins. SAE have neither. Also, as sae mature, they eat more fish food/less algae. Even juveniles will go off the algae if you feed too much.

Reactions: HN1
I would try to get a picture but all they do is hide. And when I spook them they often jump out of the tank. They are very good jumpers the other day one jumped about 4 feet from the tank! They have never bothered any of my fish, I have neons and lost of small fish.

So which kind do I want? FF or SAE I have a community tank. it is 40 gallons high

So I have the wrong thing. I have never seen a true SAE in a pet store. Were do I get them? Do corys eat algae, I have always wanted a school of corys?

fishfanatic said:
So which kind do I want? FF or SAE I have a community tank. it is 40 gallons high

I would say a ff but that's me I have 2 in community tank with neons rasborias other tetras and cory they do great they actually dolor each other every where

That is the best picture I can get with my phone sorry. Maybe it will help solve this mystery.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_185515.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_185515.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 111
A few more

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110524_185659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_185659.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 103
  • ForumRunner_20110524_185720.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_185720.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20110524_185739.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110524_185739.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 102
I have never noticed those white spots before, do you know what they are?

Back
Top Bottom