algae problem and fish that just dont care :P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob112233

Aquarium Advice Regular
my tank is going on to its second week and im getting a bad algae problem over the last few days . my pleco and my 3 otocinclus dont seem to care much. its a 120 gal tank do i need my algae eaters or should give my fish more time to get it clean.

3 otocinclus and 1 pleco is not much for a 120 gal, and those fish will never eat all your algae anyway.
Is your tank planted? You should try some fast growing stern plants. Elodea is a good plant to outcompete the algae for nutrients.
What type of algae is it?

Do a phosphate test on your water. If you have high levels, it could be an underlying algae cause. You may also want to get another pleco, or perhaps 2 or 3 more of a smaller variety. Bristlenose plecos are cool.

I know the algae that you speak of. I have three plecos in a 150 gal tank and they don't really care either. Test your phosphate level and do several large water changes. Doing that has cleared up my 29 gal tank. The 150 is on its way to recovery. :D

Describe the tank setup to us, and is it planted, with a lot of light? If so I should move this to the planted section, as the plant guys are much more use to dealing with algae problems.

one time i didnt feed my fish for 3 days and when i came back the entire tank was spotless. the back and sides were almost completely covered with brown and green spot algae and the front had some too but it was as if the tank was brand new again. i guess my pleco, sae, and oto couldnt hold out for 3 days.

sometimes when my water starts looking kinda funky.. as if ive been overfeeding or something, i will fast my fish for 2-3 days. As long as you don't overfeed this shouldn't be a problem, but sadly there are times when i DO overfeed and im sure everyone does sometimes. WHen i fast them for a few days my tank and water always look sparkly afterwards. Of course, doing a water change, gravel vac, and scrubbing algae will do the trick too....

Back
Top Bottom