Algae problem (new Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are talking about that stuff on your glass then no that is the world famous corraline algea. It mostly grows on your rock but it will grow on your glass. I have alot on my glass also. It`s a good sign. You can easily scrape it off if you dont like it.

i have a few spots of coralline i dont think it is coralline because it is to easy to rub off even the colour is not right its transparent reddish purple

Oh OK, It looks like it to me but I am wrong if it`s not hard. I dont see it in you substrate which is where it mostly grows.

Coralline's color can be light purple to dark red. Maybe you have the early form of the dark red coralline, that's y it's easy to scrub off

Cyano is not toxic. It is an indication of poor water quality. Looks like coralline from the photos which becomes more a nusiance than anything else.

Peace.

Hard to tell from the pics. If the algae is hard and stuck to the glass then it is most likely coraline. If it can be brushed away and turns to "dust" it is most likely cycno. This is an indication of excess nutrients in the water. Most often the culprit is PO4. Test your tank water and source water for PO4 to get started.

So if it is PO4.....what can you do about it?

My tank is over 6 months old, and I have no coralline growth.....just cyano and diatom blooms. And there is PLEANTY of it on the rocks in the tank.

Should I scrape some off a rock to help it spread it self?

removing the food source will certainly help. Do top offs and PWC with high quality ro/di water that has tested free of PO4. Thaw and rinse all fozen food prior to adding it to the tank and cut back on flake food if you use it.

SeeDemTails said:
So if it is PO4.....what can you do about it?

My tank is over 6 months old, and I have no coralline growth.....just cyano and diatom blooms. And there is PLEANTY of it on the rocks in the tank.

Should I scrape some off a rock to help it spread it self?
See other post ....IMHHO this looks like cyano

it could be rubbed off with my finger and it would probably come off in little sheets. i have been adding reef carb. reef complete, and reef plus to the water. Would a skimmer help here?

i have been adding reef carb. reef complete, and reef plus to the water.
Most additives are really not needed when water changes are done on a regular basis. It is important to test for whatever you put in it.
Would a skimmer help here?
Not really. A skimmer is always a welcomed piece of equipment on any tank, however, it will not do much for PO4

If it's Cyano, Try Chemi-clean to knock it down. I used it once a month for 3 months, now once every other month as needed. My wife likes to over feed the reef tank. Go figure?

I have used chemi-clean in the past as well with good results. It cannot be emphisized enough, however, that the chemi-clean is only a band-aid. If you do not identify and correct the source of the cyno, it will just keep coming back.

thanks for all the info. I have been using tap water from the start. May 6
I will be doing two water changes a month using purified water to see if anything changes. I will also be vacuuming the cyano out. Thanks again

thanks for all the info. I have been using tap water from the start. May 6
This is most likely the problem. Tap water contains a certain amount of NO3 and PO4, depending on where you live. Getting a home RO/DI fitler will certainly help. I know it is not the most glamorous of purchases but I have found it to be essential. When I first started this hobby I had no idea just how much good source water would help in my sucess. Check out www.thefilterguys.biz for some great RO/DI options. Good luck!

If that is cyano, I don't understand why it's not growing on the substrate/LR. Mine took over the bottom and then started on the glass, but only where it seemed to have grown up from the substrate. But that is just my experience.

One question for you. Did it start out as a bright green and the turn the color it is now?

In one pic, it looks like cyano and the others look like corraline.

I have the green now, and it is hard to get off.

What exactly is the bright green stuff? I have it all over my glass and it is almost impossible to get off. I also have some of the brown stuff that you have on your glass as well. The brown stuff is all over the substrate and the glass. It comes off easy but spreads like crazy. Can either harm corals? TIA..........

Back
Top Bottom