Algae problem!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gboutwel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

In a 10 Gallon Tank, with 2 Fan-Tailed Goldfish and a few snails. We seem to be having a problem with Algae. Is there some bottom feeder or something else that we can add to the tank to help with the Algae. Is the Algae much of a problem for the fish. It's bad enough that even after cleaning the glass on the inside of the tank fairly good, less than a week later it's covered really bad again.

Did you ever think about adding a few live plants in the tank. I had 10 gal tank growing up that had an algae problem My dad added some live plants and in a couple of week the problem with the algae subsided. This is just a suggestion and good luck in fixing your problem.

If you do consider live plants George, be aware most don't do well with goldfish; goldfish are more vegetarian then carnivore and are well known for tearing and digging up plants. I think Java ferns and Java moss (and one other whos name escapes me) are the few goldfish will leave well enough alone.

Something that grows that fast and covers your glass--sounds like cyanobacteria. Is it blue-green slimy stuff that comes off in sheets and smells funky?

If it is cyano, you will need to either clean and do water changes frequently or do what I did and put an antibiotic in the tank to kill the stuff. I used erythromycin, and it worked really well. Check the stuff and let me know if it's cyano or not.

Increase water changes and decrease lighting duration. Also watch those goldfish as they will soon outgrow that 10-gal. They produce a lot of waste, which contributes to the nitrate waste that algae thrives upon.

Back
Top Bottom