algae problems, snail or algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
So right now, I have a lot of green algae and brown algae growing in my tank. What would be better to have, a snail, or an algae eater to take care of the problem. Right now, I have a gourami (.75 inches) a dwarf parrot (not aggressive at all and in fact is scared of all other fish about 4 inches), 3 tiger barbs, a bamboo shrimp all in a 36 gallon tank with filtration for about a 110 gallon tank.

Nerite snails are great algae eater's and don't reproduce in freshwater :)

Actually can you post pic's of the types of algae. Reason being is Algae eaters eat specific types of algae and some types of algae no algae eater eats. Also correcting the issues causing the algae is the best thing to do then if you want a couple algae clean up crew you'd be okay.

What type lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you run it? How often and how much do you do in water changes weekly? Are you overfeeding your fish? How old is the tank. By answering these questions we can better help you pin point the problem causing it and possibly recommend the proper type algae eater for that type of algae. Also shrimp would not survive in your tank with your stock, they would become a nice snack.

Back
Top Bottom