algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cehusa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a horrible algae problem for months. finally I moved my fish to another tank so I can clean my 55 problem tank and reset it.

my question - the rocks that were in the tank, once they are out of water and dry for a week and they are scrubbed with a brush, is there anything else I need to do to them when I put them back into the refreshed tank?

thanks for any advise you can provide.

Controlling Algae

I have had a horrible algae problem for months. finally I moved my fish to another tank so I can clean my 55 problem tank and reset it.

my question - the rocks that were in the tank, once they are out of water and dry for a week and they are scrubbed with a brush, is there anything else I need to do to them when I put them back into the refreshed tank?

thanks for any advise you can provide.

Hello ce...

Algae is only a problem if you feed the fish or plants too much. Algae thrives in water with a high phosphate and nitrate level. You can control its growth by reducing the amount you feed and by feeding foods low in phosphate. Large, weekly water changes of at least half the tank water done weekly, will remove dissolved food. You can also keep floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Dwarf Water lettuce. These will use the nitrates faster than the algae. By reducing the food source, you'll significantly slow the growth of algae.

B

Back
Top Bottom