Algae & snails. Help appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaAnna4444

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Sorry if this is not the right section but I'm new here.

I have got loads of algae growing in my tank. I think it's hair algae but wanted to check if I'm right. Please look at the pictures attached. I know that my petshop sells hair algae treatment but wanted to ensure that it's the right type before adding anything to my tank.

Also, I noticed about 15 tiny snails on my glass today which means that there will be about 10times more hidden in the gravel. What's the best solution for getting rid of them?

I can try the lettuce way - what should I do with them once I take them out? Everyone says dispose them-put then in the bin?

What snail eater can I get? I have only 46l in my tank so I guess I can't keep loaches? Will a assassin snail eat my zebra snails as well?

Thanks so much for your help!
Anna

Didn't see a pic...

Too much light, and maybe too much food. Are you using flakes? what brand?

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? pH?

I would recommend doing a timer on the light if it is hard to get it turned on and off, but a couple hour siesta/ rest period has been working great for me. So if you are home in the AM and PM and not in the day just turn it off during that time and make sure the plants get about 3 hours am and pm and start increasing the time I imagine 4 + 4 would be fine.

What is your light bulb type and watts and how long is it on each day? If there are days it wasn't shut off that is a problem too.

I would not use anything like the algae treatment in the tank, but if you do you will need an additional air pump. But I wouldn't.

Assassins eat whatever they want to. If you have another tank you could move the ones you want to save.

You can remove the plants that have hair algae on them an give them the 3 day dark treatment, and it goes away pretty well. I have tried that before in moss and a few stem plants and it worked for me.

There is also a hydrogen peroxide method and a Glut method. I have not done that and can't say exactly what to do.

I would go with the assassin snail idea. It is completely natural (no chemical poisoning), and, with any luck, your snail population will plateu just high enough for assassin snail to make a living. And then you get the joy of watching assasing snail slowly chase down all of his friends and devour them.:popcorn:

EDIT: Oh, and also, if your assassin does cause a plateu, the snails will help keep the algea down before they get eaten. And I would move your favorite snails - I don't think assassin will care that he is eating Gary

Last edited:
Hi all

Thanks so much for your reply.
I tested my water this morning and my ph is a bit to high so I added ph down to the tank. All other parameters were excellent ?

I added 3 assassin snail yesterday and so far they had great appetite and ate a few of the pest snails. Quite interesting to watch them. Phillip & Sue - my zebra snails - are much bigger than the assassins so for the moment I guess they are save. Let's wait and see...

I caught one of the big pest snails too today and "disposed" it in the Thames.

I found glass fish in my store too today so my lonely x-Ray has 3 more friends now.

Re algae: I only turn my light on in the evening as my living room is exceptionally bright anyway. I added 5ml of hair algae treatment today so fingers crossed (don't worry I have an airpump as the fluval edge tends to suffocate fish anyway).

Will keep you posted!
Anna X

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi all

Thanks so much for your reply.
I tested my water this morning and my ph is a bit to high so I added ph down to the tank. All other parameters were excellent ?

I added 3 assassin snail yesterday and so far they had great appetite and ate a few of the pest snails. Quite interesting to watch them. Phillip & Sue - my zebra snails - are much bigger than the assassins so for the moment I guess they are save. Let's wait and see...

I caught one of the big pest snails too today and "disposed" it in the Thames.

I found glass fish in my store too today so my lonely x-Ray has 3 more friends now.

Re algae: I only turn my light on in the evening as my living room is exceptionally bright anyway. I added 5ml of hair algae treatment today so fingers crossed (don't worry I have an airpump as the fluval edge tends to suffocate fish anyway).

Will keep you posted!
Anna X

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you sure that treatment is safe for invertebrates/snails?

never ever put fish from you tank into the wild , they will mess up the environment
like snakeheads taking over every lake in north America and zebra muscles in every water way

Back
Top Bottom