Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aeharkins9092

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this algae good or bad, it's all over my live rock. I just got 15 snails so hopefully it can help. And how do I get coralline algae to grow?

Attachments

• image-3443401665.jpg
    image-3443401665.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 83
I think I have that same kind of algae in my 55, but I am not entirely sure what it is. I think your snails will help take care of it. I can't put any snails in my 55 SW because of my Triggerfish. A great snail is a Turbo snail. I added five to my 34 SW and they did a fantastic job with all of the cyanobacteria (red slime algae). They eat other types too. Good luck.

aeharkins9092 said:
Is this algae good or bad, it's all over my live rock. I just got 15 snails so hopefully it can help. And how do I get coralline algae to grow?

Unless u have it, it won't grow.

Calcium levels and proper alkalinity will grow Coraline algae. A two part calcium/alkalinity solution like B-Ionic will help maintain those levels, or Kalkwasser drips. I think lighting isn't very important, but chemistry is, as I grow Coraline algae in a vat I cure live rock in and it has just a simple florescent light over it. There are spores of it on almost all live rock, so once the conditions are right it will spontaneously start growing.

Back
Top Bottom