Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razmataz1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, now it's time to deal with algae and a huge outbreak over the last 3 days. I have a brownish/black algae growing on my silk plants and a resin like cave rock. Nothing growing on the glass which is good. I knew I needed to buy a pleco but just never got around to it not to mention also dealing with tank issues from ich to doing a "non-fishless" cycle. BTW, which all have been solved.

What kind of algae is this? Also, based on what I have listed below in my sig, what type of pleco and would 1 pleco be ok or should I buy 2.

What other fish can I get for upper/mid region without overstocking my tank? I need smaller ones obviously, but ones that are colorful.

It sounds like Brown Algae - Diatoms. This usually ocurrs with a newly established tank and will eventually go away when your water stablilizes.

I am a big fan of bristlenose pleco's because they will clean all the brown and green algae. You could easily put 2 in your tank to control this.

In the meantime, be sure to keep up with your weekly water changes and try not to overfeed and you should be fine.

OK, I got a BN and also another pleco.

Let me ask this. Does algae cause a nitrite spike? I did a water test this week (done once a week) and the nitrites are sky rocketed (again) :?

Back to the PWC and as long as I'm at it, scrubbing the decor.

Otocinculus cats will devour diatoms. A nitrite spike could be to blame, because actually, diatoms are just a collection on bacteria, all together. It means that there is not enough nitrifying bacteria in your tank to kill it all.

Keep doing partial water changes, and scrubbing if you want, but it should go away in due time.

Yep sounds like you have the situtauion undr control should go away soon enough, get 4 otos too they love diatoms just as much as BN plecos do!

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom