Altum Angel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure think the wild altums have a slight pinkish to reddish color on ther fins not sure tho

I thought the same thing, but look at the nose and the way it's pointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea i kno its possible they are wilds. Pretty sure someone else will chime in with experience

There are 2 "kinds" of Altums being listed in the trade however, there is also debate as to whether they are both P Altum. P. altum is said to come from the Rio Negro and surrounding areas while the "imposter" is from Peru and is a sub-specie or color variant of P. scalare. I tend to hold that the Peruvian Altum is not P altum but a scalare as I have brought in many scalare in the past from Peru and never had an Altum amongst them.
Also, in an Altum, the facial features are different than a scalare and these look to have scalare faces. I happened to find this post that might help you distinguish them: Altum versus Scalare angels, how to distinguish them

Hope this helps. (y)

This is what I've been looking for! Thanks. They were listed for $22 each, so figured they went the "original" but thanks for the info. They go great with my discus and can't wait to have them for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Glad it helped (y) ( I'm actually a little jealous. I want them but don't have a tank set up for them yet. :( ;) ) Just remember, they are going to get TALL so make sure you have a high tank for them to age in. At least 20" high or taller.

There are 2 "kinds" of Altums being listed in the trade however, there is also debate as to whether they are both P Altum. P. altum is said to come from the Rio Negro and surrounding areas while the "imposter" is from Peru and is a sub-specie or color variant of P. scalare. I tend to hold that the Peruvian Altum is not P altum but a scalare as I have brought in many scalare in the past from Peru and never had an Altum amongst them.
Also, in an Altum, the facial features are different than a scalare and these look to have scalare faces. I happened to find this post that might help you distinguish them: Altum versus Scalare angels, how to distinguish them

Hope this helps. (y)

The link isn't working

Try again later. It must be something on their site. I went through 3 of the 7 pages with no issues before I posted the link. Lots of good info with pics as well on the pages.

Back
Top Bottom