Am I cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iMax

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well after doing a fishless cycle and being fooled into thinking it was done I stocked a few fish, they've been doing great for a week (4 zebras, 1 oto) just tested my water today and got the results of

7.6 ph
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
and what appears to be between 40-80 ppm nitrates

So obviously a water change is in the works for me, but other than that am I cycled?

Sure sounds like it to me, a WC will bring your nitrate levels down, if I remember correctly you want to keep your nitrates below 20ppm, the lower the better but you don't want to go over 20 if you can help it.

Well after doing a fishless cycle and being fooled into thinking it was done I stocked a few fish, they've been doing great for a week (4 zebras, 1 oto) just tested my water today and got the results of

7.6 ph
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrites
and what appears to be between 40-80 ppm nitrates

So obviously a water change is in the works for me, but other than that am I cycled?

did you do a big water change before adding the fish? Usually during the process of a fishless cycle you need to finish off with a big water change to lower the nitrates which usually build up, and it's always nice to add in some new buffers with some fresh water too.

If you didn't do that water change than it would explain your raised nitrates. Like it was said you want to keep in below 20 ideally but other than that I'd say you are good to go!

Back
Top Bottom