Am I feeding correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Majik

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 1 betta and 5 panda corrys in a 10 gallon. I feed the betta 4-5 betta pellets twice a day. And the corrys one sinking bottom feeder pellet twice a day. Is this too much or too little for either?

well, i'd say thats about perfect. But you may want to add more variety to their diet. Add some fresh veggies and maybe some spirulina pellets or flakes. Bot types of fish will also enjoy a few bloodworms from time to time (frozen or live)

I would feed once a day. Some people prefer to feed twice a day. I don't prefer that. Does the betta eat all the pellets within a minute or two? If not then feed once a day. Every fish is different.

I prefer to feed once a day too - it just works out to be more convenient for me.

As for amounts, bettas are prone to bloat and constipation if they eat too much - and they ARE greedy little pigs. I only feed my betta about 5 pellets a day - about half what you are feeding.

I think that the amount you are feeding the corys is fine so long as you keep the gravel clean. Dirty gravel can lead to eroded mouth barbels.

Both fish go nuts over partially cooked, shelled peas. Once a week, my betta and bottom dwellers get some veggies instead of their usual packaged foods.

My betta is weird in that he won't even touch frozen bloodworms - while the corys can't seem to scarf them down fast enough

The betta eats all of his food in a minute or a little less. The corrys take a little longer, but they like to nibble then swim away for a few minutes and then come back. I will cut back on the betta a bit and keep the corrys the same. I was going to go to the store and get some frozen bloodworms for them soon. That should be a replacement for a meal, not a supplement correct?

If you do it properly, they can be fed 2-3x daily. I feel that feeding daily at least is a must

Back
Top Bottom