Am I killing my plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have 125 gallon tank an some of our plants are good and others are turning brown and getting holes. Also out ludwigia has lost its red color and the leaves have either fallen off or have turned green.
It is a 125 gallon top fin which is about 24 inches deep.
We have 2 36 inch aqueon T8 lights with 24 inch Floramax bulbs
The substrate is just 2.5-3 inches of Top Fin gravel.
Filtration: Fluval FX6 ( first basket has the biofoam, second basket has SeaChem Matrix, third basket has SeaChem Purgin) and a Fluval C4 with just foam in it.
Fish: Black knife ghost, zebra danios, Albino rainbow shark, bala sharks, clown loaches, khulali loaches, Boeshamine rainbows, turquoise rainbows, Rafael striped catfish, otos and albino bristlenose plecos
Plants: Anubis nana, Java fern, moneywort, anacharis, ludwigia, swords (Amazon, Red Flame, ocelot and Amazon compacta), Crypts ( red wendetti and undulate red)
We use Mebbids DIY Root tabs, API leaf zone 3-4 times a week and API CO2 booster 3-4 times a week.
Are we not using the right fertilizers? Could it be the lights? As I was reading about lighting I got very confused as to what we need.
I was looking at replacing our light s with either Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light for Aquarium or Aqueon LED Aquarium Light Fixture.
Sorry for this being so long and all the miss spelled names and words. Any advice is appreciated on anything that will help this tank out.

Definitely not enough light. I'd look into the Satellite Planted+. The "For Aquarium" and Aqueon models are probably more dim than what you have already. I would also dose CO2 booster daily - 1mL/10ga.

Ok, you for sure have too little light and most of those plants will thrive in the low light range. I would recommend you look into the finnex LED lighting series, specifically the ray2 or the Planted+. Will give you a huge boost in the lighting department. Hop ethos helps!(y)

Lighting is low. I would get the finnex planted +.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As for a carbon source, you should try Metricide 14. 1 gallon is about $20 online. It is much more concentrated than the API CO2 Booster and less expensive.

Should probably add seachem flourish comprehensive at the least.

Thank you guys and gals for the quick help. I guess it is new lights. Between Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Light for Aquarium and Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights which would be the better choice? Budget right now is slim for lights.

Fresh2o would the metracide have to be diluted and if so do you know the ratio? Also would the dosing be the same 1 ml/ 10 gallon?

Fresh2o would the metracide have to be diluted and if so do you know the ratio? Also would the dosing be the same 1 ml/ 10 gallon?

Some folks dilute Metricide 1:1 with distilled water. At that point you can treat it like excel and dose daily 1 mL / 10 gallons. Some use it straight but with a lower volume.
If you do use Metricide, it is usually shipped with a small activator bottle. Discard the activator; you will not need it.

i have the same issue too my swords are turning brown..replaced my t8 with the fluval led eco bright 7500k hopefully that works as well as dosing once a weak wiht my api leaf zone

I love my finnex planted plus light. I have a fairly deep tank at 20 inches and it lights it up good. All plants are growing great and throwing runners everywhere. I dose metricide 14 undiluted at 25 ml every morning. Maybe more than I should but I am getting great growth and very little algae. No ill side effects to fish or snails.

Sounds like finnex is the way to go. I am not sure I can get both of them at the same time. Does anyone know if it would be bad to put one on now and the other one on in a couple of months?

Ya but u will for sure want to start dosing more carbon source. Metricide 14 or api co2 booster either way u need I up it

Sounds like finnex is the way to go. I am not sure I can get both of them at the same time. Does anyone know if it would be bad to put one on now and the other one on in a couple of months?

You could do this. Be aware that you should only expect plant growth on one side. You could move the plants as needed.

I was wondering if the glass canopy will affect the light. We have fish that can jump out of the tank so don't want to take it off. Also don't need to find my cats trying their luck at fishing.

Get one now and keep your good plants on the lighted side. Shouldn't be an issue!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was wondering if the glass canopy will affect the light. We have fish that can jump out of the tank so don't want to take it off. Also don't need to find my cats trying their luck at fishing.

Yes, if it is not properly maintained. Meaning, cleaning it regularly to remove algae and hard water buildup (that causes opacity, thus blocking light). If you have jumpy fish and curious felines, I would it on.

Just got my new lights on and I am in shock. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406137768.799469.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406137786.643610.jpg
I was wondering if I should change the amount of time the lights are on. With the T8s they were on from 9-3 and then from 7-10. Also which lights should be on i.e just white or red and white. Currently I have the red, white and blue on.

Back
Top Bottom