Am I ready for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanaticbooks

Aquarium Advice Regular
The last two days, the ammonia has been whizzing out. Two days ago, dropped to 1.0 so put in 3/4 tsp ammonia that brought it up to 4.

Last night it was between 0 and 1. so put in 1 tsp ammonia.
This A.M. (8 am) it was down to below 2 so added 1/2 tsp ammonia.

Now 2 hours later, the ammonia is at 1.0.

Sounds as if the bacteria are being busy little bacteria.

Ph is lowering but keeping that boosted to 7.6. I'm still using buffer Seachem's pH buffer. I think I will keep using it for awhile until I use it up. Then I might switch over.

Haven't changed the water yet. Not checking Nitrites/Nitrates since last night they were at the top of the colors, very deep.

Is it time that I change water partially...if so how much.
Then add the ammonia again to double check everything is functioning,

and when down to 0, go get myself some of my fish?

I'm still thinking about some live plants but am not real enthused to get. Still deciding on that.

Advice Please?
fanaticbooks

Your ammonia AND Nitrite must read zero 24 hours after adding ammonia before you are ready for fish. If Nitrite and Nitrate are off the scale you can consider a PWC to lower levels into the readable range.

There is a very good thread on fishless cycling within this forum which will guide you well.

You don't NEED to do pwc during a fishless cycle. If your nitrites have been stuck at 5 or higher for a week or more than it could be beneficial to do one, but otherwise not necessary. PH swings are common during fishless cycles; usually water changes can bring the PH back up if it falls; if it's falling considerably and often (in the 6's) then you could consider putting some crushed coral in a mesh bag in the tank or the filter. The PH buffer stuff....I guess it's OK to use for now but I wouldn't use it long-term, especially not with fish.

Your ammonia is dropping but does't seem to be getting to 0 very often and nitrites are still high, so the cycle is only done when ammonia AND nitrites are falling to 0 every 24 hours (on its own, doing water changes to get it to 0 does't count lol). How long ago did you start the cycle? You're moving toward the end, but not there yet. A bit more patience and it'll get there eventually. :D

Thank you. That tells me about where I am in the cycle.

I changed the water out 50%, added ammonia, Prime.

ph 7.6 now. ammonia not quite 4. Nitrite and Nitrate in the high numbers.

Haven't hurt it any so will just wait and see.

I posted I lost my guppies on August 7 so feel that is probably when I started doing a fishless cycle.

It didn't do much for about a week; then added fish food. That seemed to help. Then had to change water completely because it STANK! And it has been percolating nicely since then.

I switched to ammonia when I did the water change above. Think that was this last monday.

Nitrites and Nitrates didn't start changing until Tues or Weds this week.

I'm not trying to rush this through, just trying to get the best bacteria foundation I need to have happy fish. :)

One more thing....

I haven't let the ammonia drop to 0. When it showed below the .25(?) and above 0, I added ammonia because the Nitrites had not started dropping. Figured I should continue to feed until Nitrites figured out what they were doing.

Should I add a little Fish food also? I haven't since I did that huge amount last week or so.

Thank you. That tells me about where I am in the cycle.

I changed the water out 50%, added ammonia, Prime.

ph 7.6 now. ammonia not quite 4. Nitrite and Nitrate in the high numbers.

Haven't hurt it any so will just wait and see.

I posted I lost my guppies on August 7 so feel that is probably when I started doing a fishless cycle.

It didn't do much for about a week; then added fish food. That seemed to help. Then had to change water completely because it STANK! And it has been percolating nicely since then.

I switched to ammonia when I did the water change above. Think that was this last monday.

Nitrites and Nitrates didn't start changing until Tues or Weds this week.

I'm not trying to rush this through, just trying to get the best bacteria foundation I need to have happy fish. :)

One more thing....

I haven't let the ammonia drop to 0. When it showed below the .25(?) and above 0, I added ammonia because the Nitrites had not started dropping. Figured I should continue to feed until Nitrites figured out what they were doing.

Should I add a little Fish food also? I haven't since I did that huge amount last week or so.

You're in a good time frame then. If you lost the fish on the 7th (sorry) and didn't add any ammonia source for week then the cycle didn't really start until you added an ammonia source, like the fish food (but it would have had to been enough to cause an ammonia reading). Using pure ammonia is better b/c it's easier to dose and calculate, plus it's cleaner than fish food lol.

It's ok to add ammonia when it gets close to 0, but still above; 0.5 or under is good. You can add fish food if you want, but not necessary. I added it a few times during my cycle too but don't think it made a difference either way except for making a mess in my gravel. :D

I'm getting closer

This morning I didn't have time to test since we were going somewhere. I didn't want to take a chance on the water going to 0 for food for the bacteria so added 1/2 tsp. to buy me time until I could do something tonight.

When I tested tonight,
ph = 6 so added buffer
ammonia = .5 so added 1 tsp.
nitrites = down to .25
nitrates = about 80

All told, the ammonia is now dropping fast and the nitrites are finally dropping also.

I will be testing closer tomorrow but didn't want something bottoming out in the middle of the night tonight....so bought myself some more time.

I think in the next couple of days, the ammonia and nitrite are going to be in sync.

I think I will be getting some of the coral or the other stuff mentioned. My pH is dropping too fast I think. I can't keep track of it well. I hope the coral or whatever when I get it will stabilize the water. The buffer seems to bring it up but I think it will maintain it more evenly if I'm not relying on the buffer.

Now, which is better to put between my two filtering frames in the pump on the back of my hexagon? Crushed coral, argonite sand or limestone(?)? If limestone, what am I actually getting of that?

Also, we are talking about a freshwater tank not a salt water tank. Are you sure any of the above will work fine in it?

I have rock on the bottom so don't know if I should just dump some on the bottom or put sandwiched between the two filters. I don't want to muck up my whirling part of my pump that pumps the water up.

More than ilkely these questions have been answered before but I don't know quite how to word my query in the Search box. :confused:

Attachments

• DSCN1982.jpg
    DSCN1982.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN1984.jpg
    DSCN1984.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN1983.jpg
    DSCN1983.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
A pwc will bring your ph back....(Eco's cycle guide very helpful). I can cycle my ammonia over night but not the trites yet, I'm getting trAtes so I know the trites will start fall one of these days... Every 3rd day I'll check my ph for a change and I've only seen a slight drop at the end of the third week (different warter supplies between us). If your ph is droping often pull a big pwc an skip the ph Buffer an see how your ph dose.

Eco is better qualified to answer your questions I'm just giving you my personal experiences and the slight knowledge I've gleaned from reading his guide.

P

The thing is, I just did a big pwc yesterday. I do NOT want to have to change water every day or every other day. I did over 50 percent yesterday, brought the ph up to 7.2 and it had dropped to 6. by tonight.

I had not used buffer yesterday.

Part of the problem is I don't want to waste a lot of water using my hose system to syphon it out daily and I have tendonitis in both shoulders so dipping it out gets very painful.

I want something that will provide ph at a regular, stable rate. Everyone says don't use buffers so I am trying to figure out the best way to switch to the coral or whatever.

I think if I get the buffer solved by using what has been suggested multiple times, it will probably work. I would still like answers to my questions mentioned above as a precaution so that I feel I am doing it correctly.

Your PH seems to be dropping fairly rapidly and regularly. I think crushed coral would be a benefit (and yep it's ok for freshwater). Also get a mesh media bag (usually sold in the filter section of the fish area) or a new unwashed nylon stocking. Get a handful of the crushed coral and put it in the bag or nylon (you don't want to just dump it in as is as it'll be messy and hard to get out then) and then try cramming it into the filter if you can. If not, putting it in the tank is fine. Then we'll see if it helps the PH; you may need to add more but starting off with a handful for a small tank is good I think. Crushed argonite and coral is basically the same thing, so either one would work fine. Not sure about the limestone.

Still having problem with pH

I got the crushed coral and a mesh bag.

Put handful in and tried to work in pump area. It wouldn't go so dropped in main part kind of in front of where water is pumped for the water current.

Waited 5 or so hours. Ph below 7.2 down to about 6

Put in more coral. Water up to 7.6 for awhile.

Overnight, Dropped back down to below 7.

Put in more coral. I now have about the whole mesh bag filled, I would say approx. 1 to 1 1/2 c. coral in mesh bag again placed in current on bottom.

That was this morning about 10 am. Tonight at 7ish, it was below 7.2 about 7.

Any suggestions on what to do to bring it up without using ph buffer? I do have the buffer but everyone says don't use it when I ask in here.

Back
Top Bottom