Amano shrimp in a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bennyrw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 90L( I think that's about 25 us gallons) tank with guppies, mollies, corys and a yoyo loach. I've got as many fish as my tank can handle but I really like the look of ghost and amano shrimps but only know what I've read online and my lfs will tell me what they have to make the sale.
So I wanna know if I can keep the amano or ghost shrimp or if there just going to get eaten? And if so how many is good number?
I've also read they can be a bit aggressive?
Thanks in advance for any advise.

None of those fish should bother the larger sized adult Amano's .. at least an inch long.
I have a few in my tank with Barbs and Tetras, I see my Amano's out though not as much as if they were in a tank without fish. They'll probably hide most of the time with fish in the tank.

Try a few ghost shrimp first since they are usually (around me) much less expensive than Amano. Then after a week or two, if the ghost survive, then add Amano.
In a 29 Gal you could easily support up to 10 Amano ... though they will have to compete with fish for food. Most aquariums don't produce enough algae to sustain more than 2-3 Amano. In my 75gal I throw in broken up Algae wafers an hour after lights out ... shrimp scavenge 24 / 7 whereas fish will sleep.

None of those fish should bother the larger sized adult Amano's .. at least an inch long.
I have a few in my tank with Barbs and Tetras, I see my Amano's out though not as much as if they were in a tank without fish. They'll probably hide most of the time with fish in the tank.

Try a few ghost shrimp first since they are usually (around me) much less expensive than Amano. Then after a week or two, if the ghost survive, then add Amano.
In a 29 Gal you could easily support up to 10 Amano ... though they will have to compete with fish for food. Most aquariums don't produce enough algae to sustain more than 2-3 Amano. In my 75gal I throw in broken up Algae wafers an hour after lights out ... shrimp scavenge 24 / 7 whereas fish will sleep.

Thank you for the sound advice, I think I will get a couple GS next week and see how it goes.
So are you saying I could get up to 10 shrimp if I supplement there diet with wafers?
If they hide a lot I think I will try and stock the most I can at safe levels.

Thank you for the sound advice, I think I will get a couple GS next week and see how it goes.
So are you saying I could get up to 10 shrimp if I supplement there diet with wafers?
If they hide a lot I think I will try and stock the most I can at safe levels.

One or two could live off what they can scavenge, 10 Amano would benefit from supplemental feeding, every other day would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom