Amazon plants for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After
img_1492352_0_471a6587e1486213c8302ae9975e9483.jpg

Sorry, they still sold you wrong lights Actinic are more for Reef tanks. That's why I said AVOID 50/50.

You want freshwater plant lights.

Like this "Zoomed ULTRASUN Mini Daylight Compact Fluorescent
6500K Super Daylight lamp (10 watt). Simulates natural sunlight. Excellent for Nano tanks. Self ballasted compact fluorescent lamp."

They sold you a Saltwater light, close, but not what you need.

Woops missed the NOT 50/50.Ya I saw that type but they only had one of them, so I looked at the ones I got and it says on the box " also can be used for African cichlids, discuss fish and many other fish species where a 'subdued' light effect is desired" so I figured it would work. would these work until they get more of the other type? It still has the 6500k

JacksonJigsaw said:
Woops missed the NOT 50/50.Ya I saw that type but they only had one of them, so I looked at the ones I got and it says on the box " also can be used for African cichlids, discuss fish and many other fish species where a 'subdued' light effect is desired" so I figured it would work. would these work until they get more of the other type? It still has the 6500k

Yeah, just keep them till you find the right ones. Or check at hardware stores or online. Zoomed, Aqueon and Marineland all make them or hardware store with specs in hand :)

Also you may need more sand. You want 2-3 inches for roots to grow :). Just rinse really well.

But you are headed in the right direction :)

I found a local aquatic plant society and am just passing on what I learn from them and from my own reading. :)

So the lights will keep em healthy and growing, but they arnt the best for the job is what I'm understanding? Thanks for all the help my fish are acting insanely healthy since adding the plants :D

JacksonJigsaw said:
So the lights will keep em healthy and growing, but they arnt the best for the job is what I'm understanding? Thanks for all the help my fish are acting insanely healthy since adding the plants :D

Yeah, long term other lights will be better. You need a "warmer" spectrum light. Actinics have a lot of blue, plants like more red. For today you are fine :)

View attachment 47210

O and I think these will be the final questions, how many hours a day? And are there any south American shrimp that won't eat my plants?

Look for bulbs that are between 5500k-10000k, even though the most common is 6500k. You should have them on for 8 hrs a day.

Okay I went to Lowes and got 13w CFL 6500k Sylvania micro-minis that say daylight on them. If these arnt what I need I might just go crazy lol. they are a little small looking but put out allot of light. And only 7$ for two of them!

Now all I think I need is something to help if I get algea (would my corys?), and ferts.

JacksonJigsaw said:
Okay I went to Lowes and got 13w CFL 6500k Sylvania micro-minis that say daylight on them. If these arnt what I need I might just go crazy lol. they are a little small looking but put out allot of light. And only 7$ for two of them!

Now all I think I need is something to help if I get algea (would my corys?), and ferts.

You need root tabs for amazon

JacksonJigsaw said:

Lights sound PERFECT !!

Your plants will compete with the Algae. :) my algae cleanup crew is MTS, Nerite Snails and Otos. None of these harm my plants !
Corys don't eat Algae. Seachem or API both make root tabs and comprehensive plant food as well as liquid Carbon.

SA Shrimp ? I Googled " South American freshwater shrimp " and found http://www.petshrimp.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=1772

Plus several other links. Google it ! :)

Perfect, you sure know your stuff! Glad your on this site!

Ya I googled shrimp but All of them were from Asia pretty much.

I didn't know ghost shrimp were from South America?? I find them here in Florida all the time.

Coursair said:
So this is using a liquid plant food like Flourish or Leaf Zone. I add mine weekly.

I use API LeafZone and I dose once a week. I dont know how much or how many times you dose with flourish.

Back
Top Bottom