Ammo following first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I was cycling a 110gal with 100lbs of lr from lr.com and 60lbs of base rock along with 3 raw shrimp. My cycle went on for about 5 weeks. My ammo and trites were at 0 for a week. Did a 20% water change. Trates were at 5. Added my clean-up crew and started my skimmer. 4 days later, no ammo or trites. Trates still at 5. I added two clown fish to start things slowly. Now, ammo is up to .25, trites 0, trates 5.

Is it semi-normal to see a slight rise in ammo with your first fish? I'm assuming not if the tank were cycled, correct?

- Skins

You would think that after the cycle the LR will be able to process the ammonia from two clown fishes. Another thing could be that you are feeding the fish and the un-eaten stuff is left in the tank to create the ammonia.

I don't recall seeing ammonia in my 10g after adding one ocellaris clown. I would recommend some small water changes to help out with the ammonia.

Hmmm... What and how often are you feeding? I agree with Klam. Overfeeding would be the most likely source of ammonia.

I'm feeding twice a day - teeeeeny tiny pinches, since there are only two small clowns in there. I'll keep a close eye on the food but I'm trying not to overfeed.

Assuming it doesn't get any higher, do you think I'm running the risk of losing the clowns to .25 ammo? I know they're relatively hardy and I'll continue to do water changes, but I'm not sure what they can tolerate.

Thanks.

I think every other day is a bit better on the feeding....and that eventually you tank will catch up to the increased bio load. .25 wont kill the clowns but keep a very close eye on it.

Really??? The only other sw tank I've had was a preditor tank years ago and I didn't feed everyday. This flake food stuff is new to me, but it says "feed 2-3 times daily" on the side. Once, every other day should be fine though?

Once every other day works but it's something I don't like to do. We humans can eat once every other day too but it's not the healthiest thing. So I like to feed my fishes at least once a day and I rotate the food fed each day. It's best to feed 3 smaller meals a day rather than just one large meal a day.

How long between the end of the cycle and the addition of the first fish? Sounds like almost 2 weeks?

It is more than possible that the bacteria has regressed some due to lack of nutrient. Each time a new fish is added you may experience a small rise in the nitrogens. As the tank matures it should be quite short lived but for now it will cause you a few "bumps". Be sure to keep things in check with a few water changes if needed (well aged/aerated).

Cheers
Steve

I tried decreasing my feeding to every other day just to see if that was the cause. I skipped Monday, fed once yesterday, will feed again later today - However, I tested ammo again today and it's now up to .5. Trites are still 0, trates are still 5. How frustrating is THIS????? I've had 160lbs of rock in there for 5 weeks, and it can't handle the bioload of 2 clowns?

Something's up.

I'm wondering if something large died within my rock that I'm not aware of. I've got a couple large stars, one of which I haven't seen in several days. That may cause an ammonia spike, correct?

Thanks all. Very frustrated.

- Skins

A definate possibility to be sure. You never know what's in the rock, especially bivalves. Your still best off doing some water changes to decrease the ammonia and keep it in check. It should abate soon, just be vigilant.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom