Ammonia 0 nitrites 2.0 need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi i recently adddd three fish to my 46 gallon bow front and ammonia and nitrites spiked a little. So i did 50% p.w.c last night before bed. This morning ammonia is at 0 and nitrites are around 2.0 2.5. I have the api master test kit. Should i do another p.w.c or wait. I have this nutrafin cycle stuff. Not sure if i should use it or not. Thanks

You could try the nutrafin. I haven't noticed much difference with bottled bacteria versus a traditional cycle. The only way to remove the nitrites in your tank is with partial water changes. Essentially you are doing a fish in cycle so you need your nitrites at 0 or no more than .25 ppm. Your ammonia should be kept at .25 ppm. Several water changes will be necessary to lower your nitrites. A 50% water change will take out 50% of the nitrites you have in your tank. This is why I say several water changes.

Your 46 G Tank

Hi i recently adddd three fish to my 46 gallon bow front and ammonia and nitrites spiked a little. So i did 50% p.w.c last night before bed. This morning ammonia is at 0 and nitrites are around 2.0 2.5. I have the api master test kit. Should i do another p.w.c or wait. I have this nutrafin cycle stuff. Not sure if i should use it or not. Thanks

Hello Mon...

Is this tank cycled? Can't imagine the waste produced by three fish would show ammonia in 46 gallons of water. What else do you have in this tank?

B

Hello Mon...

Is this tank cycled? Can't imagine the waste produced by three fish would show ammonia in 46 gallons of water. What else do you have in this tank?

B

It was cycled everything was good i had a rainbow shark and an angel fish then added the two dragon blood peacock cichlids and one electric blue johanni. Then everything kinda spiked.

You could try the nutrafin. I haven't noticed much difference with bottled bacteria versus a traditional cycle. The only way to remove the nitrites in your tank is with partial water changes. Essentially you are doing a fish in cycle so you need your nitrites at 0 or no more than .25 ppm. Your ammonia should be kept at .25 ppm. Several water changes will be necessary to lower your nitrites. A 50% water change will take out 50% of the nitrites you have in your tank. This is why I say several water changes.

Is the nurtafin safe with the fish in the tank and should i use it as a new tank or water change? And can i do another 50% water chage today if i did one last night? Thanks for all your help

It's fish safe. I'd just start adding it with your water changes. Yes, I'd plan on 50% daily water changes until your nitrites drop to zero. Or even a couple 33% back to back water changes today.

Back
Top Bottom